Sign in to follow this  
trashstar

cage around a cloth object

How can I create this cage around a cloth object like in the picture?

I have already created a pretty similar object with line cuts and fix points but i dont know how to create a cage that follows the line cuts.

https://www.pinterest.at/pin/152559506113380767/

That's easy enough to make with regular poly modelling. Don't start with cuts and try and cage them later - start making that whole shape out of a cube under subdivision. You can use things like smoothing deformers and Iron commands to make the shapes more organic. Ask if you are still not sure, and I'll show you the sort of thing I mean. Then it's just a case of assigning a cloth collider tag to your collapsed cage mesh...

OR, if you didn't fancy doing any modelling at all, just shove a load of suitably shaped primitives under a volume builder / mesher setup in Union Mode, add a smooth modifier and generate your collider mesh that way instead.

Yet another way to do it would be via Voronoi Fracture, which has a hull / hull thickness option you could fully exploit here.

Or more primitively still you could even do this with splines in metaballs...

But I think probably the fastest way I can think off is to put an Atom Array of  a Sphere or Platonic Primitive under a Volume builder, and then smoothing deform the result. This sort of setup could be entirely parametric...

image.thumb.png.51de37e2e9f2ac5f5f8f891190eeb98b.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Wow thank you so much! It works really well with the volume builder. I dont know why I was to focused on creating a cage around an already inflated object instead of creating the cage first.  

Depending on exactly what sort of look you want, I wouldn't necessarily use cloth for this either ! Softbodies have auto inflation parameters, that are extremely helpful in situations like these... of course your cloth colliders would need to become dynamics colliders instead, but that's just a tag change...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I am using the cloth tag with an attractor to inflate it but i will definitely try out softbody as well