Sign in to follow this  
SophiaWang

How to make Silent Hill wall peeling effect in C4D?

Posted (edited)

How to make this Silent Hill wall pealing effect in C4D? 

Edited by Cerbera
Fixed spelling in keywords / Moved to correct section

Video blocked on "copyright grounds" here.

Cloth- particles on the walls reacting to gravity driven by animated fields. As usual .as in most VFX in movies the trick is to hide the work under low lights and camera movement. We always look at our work with over critical eyes concentrating on the minatuae which the audience do not. They see, hear and feel the scene and they of course generally do not rewind. But you can see that the peeling is just cloth/soft body. The great thing in this movie is that they intentionally keep the rendering at game level..as it is ALL game level... Dancing in the Dark 

Please take care to post in the correct category, which is not General Discussions if it's a question.

Yep, there is an established technique to do this with pinned points and cloth tearing, and someone has already made a video about it. I just gotta find it now 😉 I think the keywords we need are 'c4d peeling paint'. It has also been asked / referenced a few times before on the cafe, so searching here might also help.

CBR

No I couldn't find it (and now seem to remember I couldn't last time this was asked either !) so maybe those keywords are no good after all. So made you a quick setup that demonstrates the main principles involved. The essential stages are as follows:

1. Get 2 plane Primitives, one of which will have 1 x 1 segments and represent the wall behind the paint, and another with much more subdivision, raised mm above it, to represent the paint layer.

2. The paint plane needs to be editable, then you need to select some randomish points on it with any of the selection tools like in my example. The density of those points will define how small the paint flakes are, so if you want loads of smaller ones you need quite a dense point field.

3. A cloth tag is added to the paint plane, and in the Dresser Tab, we call the points selection we made earlier and Fix points on those, which will turn them pink.

4. In that cloth tag we need to set gravity to about +5, and activate Use Tear in the main cloth tab, and set a suitable value, which will be between 101 and 150%.

5. None of this will work unless your paint plane is a child of a Cloth Surface, which has actual thickness, so add a mm or 2 here, but not any additional subdivision unless you need more detail in the tears.

6. Lastly the cloth surface goes under regular SDS (but only Level 1 or 2 max) which rounds everything off, and should give you a result vaguely like mine below...

paint_peel.thumb.gif.a7d5682806b976f21ec4688eee3687fa.gif

The last stage is all experimentation where you vary all the settings in the tag, and change the number of fixed points to get more specifically the look you want... one of the most important settings to get that sort of ethereal ghostly feel is drag.

So here we are using positive gravity alone to wrench the cloth upwards, which is fine for test purposes, but not actually what we want if your walls are vertical. So in that case, and assuming your setup is now facing a direction other than Y=up, gravity should be set to a low negative value, and you should force the tearing another way, like with wind (either in the cloth tag itself or more controllably via particle forces), and then just let gravity and drag float it all downwards. 

Hope that helps

CBR

11 hours ago, Cerbera said:

No I couldn't find it...

This tutorial from The Pixel Lab is an oldie but goodie but I think there is more control with yours.