Sign in to follow this  
deck

Add to existing HUD element

HI Cafe

Im trying to add another parameter to an existing HUD element, its a bit embarrasing cos Ive obviously done it many times before to create what I currently have, but it was a while ago and for the life of me I can't remember the key combo to drag my new photometric user data into my existing set which I use to control my lights.

Whenever I drag it over existing it just sits on top, group elements is an option but not what Im after, Im on OSX and sure its just a couple of keys to get them in there ?

Bit of a senior moment, grab below to illustrate. Cant nail it in the manual, someone put me out of my misery 🙂

Deck

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 11.03.13.png

With Shift select (one by one) all parameters in grouped HUD, then (with still holding Shift) click on new item, press right click and select "Make Group"

Position inside group you can adjust with holding Ctrl and move...

This is something I should know the answer to, but to my surprise, don't ! 🙂 So I will add myself to the list of grateful people when someone tells us the answer ! Nice one @bezo 🙂

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks bezo, tho I don't think its quite there, I can do the make group, but unless I drag out all the parameters again individually and then group them I end up with this grab below.

What I really want to do is drag/add that new parameter into my existing HUD element, Im sure I have done it before tho I may be having a senior moment there too, I think it may be in a Tim Clapham tutorial, I will try and find it.

Deck

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 12.42.14.png

• Topic Author
  • I didn't find it, but bezos method is just a couple of clicks as all the user data is in the same spot, so will have to settle for that to cure the hair pulling. Ive tried every key combo I can think of with no success so I may be mistaken 🙂

Thanks bezo

Deck

8 hours ago, deck said:

Thanks bezo, tho I don't think its quite there, I can do the make group, but unless I drag out all the parameters again individually and then group them I end up with this grab below.

What I really want to do is drag/add that new parameter into my existing HUD element, Im sure I have done it before tho I may be having a senior moment there too, I think it may be in a Tim Clapham tutorial, I will try and find it.

Deck

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 12.42.14.png

First, to make a group, you do not need to select all elements of the framed group plus the new element to create a group. You can select the whole group at once by shift-clicking the header of the group, in this case "Front". So ultimately you only need two shift-clicks to select all necessary elements.

Second, the group is primarily a frame around the selected elements which preserve their relative position at the time of group creation. This relative position can be changed though; elements can still be ctrl-dragged to a new position. So in your screenshot, just ctrl-drag "Photometric" closer to the other elements; no need to take the group apart again. (Bezo said that already)

Third, the elements can be multiselected, so if you want to change the sequence in a group by inserting a new element between the existing ones, you can e.g. shift-click "Intensity" and "fall off light" and move them together with ctrl-drag. (This still requires the most clicks as there is no selection frame, and shift-click works as a toggle.)

Though... I see that you have only R18, maybe some of these functions do not work there?

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Cairyn

Hard to believe how we obsess over an extra click or two, think I need to lighten up 🙂

Deck

I said select one by one because what you select, that will be in the group. So, it´s doesn´t matter if it will be one parameter from some deformer, 12 from primitive parameters, 6 from cloner etc., group can be created from any HUD element in viewport without any relationship...

Once I saw some screenshot where 80 percent of the viewport was filled with HUD elements and rigged character was in the center. I thing it was small fish rig.

3 hours ago, bezo said:

Once I saw some screenshot where 80 percent of the viewport was filled with HUD elements and rigged character was in the center. I thing it was small fish rig.

Ouch.

In that case, mayyyybe auto-closing HUD groups may be useful. Unless it's a 50" screen, then it doesn't matter all that much 😎