Sign in to follow this  
madparty

Beauty Blender Modelling

Hi guys, 

i want to ask about how to do this simple looking object with clean mesh. (no booleans or volume builder)

035273900_1527050465-Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg.d67d6fbad050149afc4404928cef8c8d.jpg

Lamica_Beauty_Sponge_Pink_135___Spons_Beauty_Blender_Kosmeti.thumb.jpg.020db73ab5d57229aa8d5dd42c14926b.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=64dc4b4c9c7ad99b

i've manage to create those pointy egg shapes with SDS but have no clue how to make those flat surface without booleans/mesher.

whats the best method and other suggestions are very welcome.

thank you so much guys. 

-Sal

You can begin with a horrible boole but then then tidy up after it, and re-topologise the top into quads. Or you can begin with the flat surface and manually extrude edge loops down into the rest of the shape. Lots of ways to go here. If doing the latter method I would start with a disc object with an FFD deformer on it to get the basic disc shape, then apply that, and carry on from there using the minimum amount of polys to describe the shape, and SDS to add your final smoothing. I'll add some files later that show you in more detail if you are still stuck.

Or you could just whack an egg-shaped solid and a cube (subtract mode) in a Volume builder and do it without modelling at all, which would at least give you quads, if not directable edge flow.

CBR

I made this, its a sphere scaled in the Y then used the Plane Cut tool at the angle I want snapping from  and to a vert on both sides.  i then dissolved the edges not wanted.  I used the Plane cut with 3 cuts to get the tight crease.  I only repaired one side, deleted the other half and used the mirror tool.  I then bridged the gap with quads.

Dan

egg cut.jpg

egg cut 2.jpg

If you happen to have Zbrush you can do it with ease in about 30 seconds at any angle cut, or multiple angles.

zbrush egg.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 50 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You can begin with a horrible boole but then then tidy up after it, and re-topologise the top into quads. Or you can begin with the flat surface and manually extrude edge loops down into the rest of the shape. Lots of ways to go here. If doing the latter method I would start with a disc object with an FFD deformer on it to get the basic disc shape, then apply that, and carry on from there using the minimum amount of polys to describe the shape, and SDS to add your final smoothing. I'll add some files later that show you in more detail if you are still stuck.

Or you could just whack an egg-shaped solid and a cube (subtract mode) in a Volume builder and do it without modelling at all, which would at least give you quads, if not directable edge flow.

CBR

Hi Cerbera, thanks for your response

i'll try the retopo one as im not so familiar with FFD deformer. 😄

• Topic Author
  • 45 minutes ago, Rectro said:

I made this, its a sphere scaled in the Y then used the Plane Cut tool at the angle I want snapping from  and to a vert on both sides.  i then dissolved the edges not wanted.  I used the Plane cut with 3 cuts to get the tight crease.  I only repaired one side, deleted the other half and used the mirror tool.  I then bridged the gap with quads.

Dan

egg cut.jpg

egg cut 2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rectro said:

If you happen to have Zbrush you can do it with ease in about 30 seconds at any angle cut, or multiple angles.

zbrush egg.jpg

Hi Rectro, thank you for your response!

i'll read them first and try. i'll post the result soon 😄

Thank you!

As you can see mine is very similar to @Rectro's but with the top made a slightly different way.

image.thumb.png.9d2a9e005093e03966fcb86747e678be.png

His version is more polygon-efficient than mine, but mine has more even polygon distribution. Both are equally A-grade models.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

As you can see mine is very similar to @Rectro's but with the top made a slightly different way.

image.thumb.png.9d2a9e005093e03966fcb86747e678be.png

CBR

noice! so you're using the ffd deformer method for this one?

3 minutes ago, madparty said:

noice! so you're using the ffd deformer method for this one?

No I didn't in the end ! I literally loaded the reference into the front viewport, made the top flat section in that view with symmetry and the polypen, then when I had the basic shape defined I tilted it back 30 degrees, and then altered the overall proportions with regular Scale tool so it continued to match front reference. Then it was just extruding loops downwards (and scaling them out in 2 directions) from the perimeter of that, adding control loops for sharpness under subdivision, and adding a perfect flat base / adjusting loops for better / more even distribution.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 15 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No I didn't in the end ! I literally loaded the reference into the front viewport, made the top flat section in that view with symmetry and the polypen, then when I had the basic shape defined I tilted it back 30 degrees, and then altered the overall proportions with regular Scale tool so it continued to match front reference. Then it was just extruding loops downwards (and scaling them out in 2 directions) from the perimeter of that, adding control loops for sharpness under subdivision, and adding a perfect flat base / adjusting loops for better / more even distribution.

CBR

Ah i see! can i see the model looks like without SDS ??