Sign in to follow this  
gaetan

Animation of a simple scene take 1 year+ to render because of hi-res textures

Hi,

I have a simple scene: a desert, a few rocks and mountains, and a couple of TVs in the middle.

I'm using high resolution textures for all of these, which make my rendering time go to 2 hours per frame, for a 3 minute 60fps video. If I remove all the textures, a frame take 2.5 minutes to render.

Apart from the TV screens and one basic camera pan, nothing is animated throughout the whole video. Is there anything I can do to "avoid" these textures and their displacement being re-calculated for each frame, since their position, lighting etc. do not ever change?

I'm still a beginner at C4D, and this is my first post here. Many thanks in advance.

I assume you mean "Materials" not "Textures" as you're talking about displacement as well.

Generally SPD is very, very slow in C4D Standard / Physical render. You can migitate that by reducing the number of subvisions in the material.

You can also make a seperate material with even lower or disabled displacement for objects that are further back in the scene.

Your third option would be to subdivide the geometry by hand and use the texture in the displacement channel of the materials as input for the displacer modifier. I had some success with this in the past as the render does not need to precalculate the subdivision every frame, instead it's already done in the scene. Makes the realtime preview a lot slower, but generally renders faster.

If you have a look at this tutorial I made about 20 min in you can see the time taken to calculate displacements. Now if you have higher levels and multiple materials that will give long render times. in the vid I will post after I used a displace deformer then baked the displacement. Memory consumption is very high but renders are way way faster as no calculations are needed.

• Topic Author
  • Many thanks both for your suggestions. I will try them tomorrow and give an update. Much appreciated.

• Topic Author
  • A quick update. Basically I realise that I was looking for a miracle solution that obviously doesn't exist. I have huge materials with 8k textures and displacement, and this always takes hours to render.

I've had little luck with a displacer deformer which just doesn't seem to come close to what I had initially, even with more subdivisions.

I think I just have to compromise and, as suggested, remove the displacement on objects that are further back.

Thanks again.

You may well get faster renders with a GPU renderer such as Redshift or Octane but of course they are limited to the GPU onboard RAM and will fail back to MB RAM if they run out..I think , I am not sure so I will not name it, but one of them cannot even bail out when the GPU RAM is exceeded. You may also want to try Arnold, though the GPU rendering is in it's infancy it may well handle the displacement better, same goes for Vray. Give them all a spin see what works. I suspect Arnold will handle the huge scene data best..not sure though. Now I use 16 K textures ( displacement and colour) on my Mars renders and I get by but as I said I am only using these 2 textures on a single sphere

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, paulselhi said:

You may well get faster renders with a GPU renderer such as Redshift or Octane but of course they are limited to the GPU onboard RAM and will fail back to MB RAM if they run out..I think , I am not sure so I will not name it, but one of them cannot even bail out when the GPU RAM is exceeded. You may also want to try Arnold, though the GPU rendering is in it's infancy it may well handle the displacement better, same goes for Vray. Give them all a spin see what works. I suspect Arnold will handle the huge scene data best..not sure though. Now I use 16 K textures ( displacement and colour) on my Mars renders and I get by but as I said I am only using these 2 textures on a single sphere

I will try these, thanks again Paul.