Sign in to follow this  
MikeMac

Simplify Complex Objects?

Hi everyone...

I have a bunch of car models that I am working with, and I wonder if there is an easy way to simplify them. They are being used as simple white objects, small but cloned many times. The models I have have all sorts of unnecessary (for me)  geometry on the inside, and I'd like to know if there is some way to simply solidify them as they appear without all the unnecessary guts.

Thanks!

OK I have a part two of this question. I have scaled each individual model so they are all the right sizes relative to each other (this is just a mix of free models from Turbosquid), but when I drop them into a cloner they all revert to their original sizes and orientations. Is there a way to manage this?

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, MikeMac said:

I'd like to know if there is some way to simply solidify them as they appear without all the unnecessary guts.

No, not really, without you manually removing the unnecessary polys. I mean you could dump them in a volume builder but that is a massively polygon inefficient way of making these things solid. It's kinda difficult to know how to advise when we can't see the models in question.

2 hours ago, MikeMac said:

I have scaled each individual model so they are all the right sizes relative to each other (this is just a mix of free models from Turbosquid), but when I drop them into a cloner they all revert to their original sizes and orientations. Is there a way to manage this?

Yes, scale them via the correct method in the first place 😉 You should not be scaling in Object Mode, and you shouldn't be using the Scale components in either coordinate manager to do this. If you are in model mode, then scale tool will work correctly, but that Scale will change to Size in the lower coordinates manager, which is what you should alter if want it to remain unaffected by a cloner, which is using the object scaling mode to do its transforms. So altering the size of an object should leave its scale at 1/1/1, which is what the cloner will try to preserve unless you tell it otherwise.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • That's very helpful, thank you so much!