S22 Feature Overview & Discussion

I think it’s a cool update with long overdue features. MAXON has clearly listened to us and I can’t wait to dabble with redshift on a Mac Pro. Not sure what some people complain about: these features (and more to come) will be included in R22 perpetual later this year. 

It’s a cool time for C4D users and hopefully the end of the tunnel for Mac users like me. 😃

Guys, Maxon is in a uniqe situation where unforunately some painful path must be folowed and thats the transition from old to new code, which e.g. Blender didnt have to do and thus they are able to push features more quickly becasue they core allows it. This is what Maxon is doing for years now, and finally its starting to show. The complexity of that task is something only few can understand while on top of that you are adding new stuff. Trust me not an easy task at all. I am in a uniqe position and I can understand both user and development side. Maxon is working harder than ever before and trust me when I say everyone in the company want to make sure Cinema 4D is again piece of software everyone will praise again. I am sure that day will come, I have no doubts. :cowboypistol:

U-Render Quality Assurance | C4D Cafe Contributions

As someone had suggested to me the release notes are in Help section. 

What’s new in Cinema 4D S22:

• New UV Unwrap command for a workflow based on edge selections (Seams). 
  • New, comprehensive settings for the UV Editor, incl. display of UV Seams, Overlaps, Distortions, etc. 
  • New, automatic UV mesh unwrap and relax function: Packing. 
  • Separate menu in the UV Manager for packing UV Islands. 
  • Two new commands: UV Weld and UV Weld and Relax. 
  • UV Pins to permanently affix UV points. 
  • There are no longer separate UV Point and UV Polygon modes (instead the modes Use Point, Use Edge and Use Polygon with which both geometry and UV elements can be edited).

• Re-arranging and use of view filters - presets can be created and other features. 
  • New Hair shading model for the Viewport 
  • Improvement of Viewport display. 
  • New glTF export for real-time web applications 
  • New command for mirroring selections.
  • New functions for the Viewport Renderer (previously Hardware OpenGL). 
  • For the Viewport Renderer (previously Hardware OpenGL) you can now define in detail which scene elements should be included for rendering.

• Go ZBrush for the exchange of information between ZBrush and Cinema 4D.
  • Cineware settings are now in the Project settings (and the new Cineware material settings).
  • Automatic recognition of touch-screen devices and deactivation if they malfunction. 
  • Re-organization of the Viewport Display. 
  • When importing Alembic instances you can now select the type of instances that Cinema 4D should generate. 
  • The FBX import can make either FBX material values available as Nodes. 
  • Cinema 4D can now also export materials defined via Material Nodes in FBX. 
  • New color settings dialog for the Texture UV Editor.
  • The Viewport preferences are now all local. 
  • Similar Viewports can be configured together. 
  • Many new settings for Viewport effects (especially shadows). 
  • Extrude direction is ascertained automatically for the Extrude object. 
  • Use Edge mode: Dbouble-clicking on an edge color will select all adjacent edges. 
  • The Loop (and Ring) Selection tool have several new options. 
  • Selection conversion can now be done with tolerance. 
  • New command for switching between the last two tools used. 
  • Various minor new features for modeling. 
  • The Create Point command has several new settings. 
  • The Close Polygon Hole function has a few new settings. 
  • 2 new settings for the Bridge tool. 
  • Subdivision now also offers subdivision patterns. 
  • New Resolve Non-Manifold command to remove invalid geometry.

• The Edge Cut tool has new settings for creating n-gons. 
  • Additional options have been added to the Untriangulate command. 
  • The Iron tool can now preserve mesh edges. 
  • The Magnet and Brush tools were reworked so their settings are similar and both have been given new settings. link.png
  • Neues Kopierverhalten von Animations-Keys und -Spuren. 
  • Normal tags can now be created directly in the Phong tag. 
  • The initial state of contraints can now be recorded. 
  • The Substance-Engine now supports textures up to 8k in 16/32 -bit.

• Igor changed the title to S22 Feature Overview & Discussion
17 hours ago, Garyhere said:

I feel the same way as Renegade. I am not a fan of subscriptions so I renewed my MSA in July as well. Expected ANY updates that became available within the year. This is of course MAXON's way of "gently" nudging people toward the subscription model. I am hoping they will do the right thing and make it available to all users with MSAs. Add to this I turned 65 last year and while I won't fully retire, I don't want to keep paying for something I might not use daily. Don't know why they cant't do both, but i was told R21 would be last time could buy a perpetual license...

As for crashes, I too have been plagued by them. Using Catalina on 2019 iMac. And it seems to be time related as well. I'll leave a C4D scene file open on my Mac. When I come back a few hours later it has crashed!

If you have a MSA they owe you the Update. If there are hard decissions to make because of the transition then it should not be the user to pay for them.

BTW we would not discuss S here, if MAXON would have handled it a bit more sensitive.

3 hours ago, Jops said:

If you have a MSA they owe you the Update. If there are hard decissions to make because of the transition then it should not be the user to pay for them.

Absolutely, they can't escape by saying it is only for subscribers.

15 hours ago, Pinin said:

Absolutely, they can't escape by saying it is only for subscribers.

No...I think not.  In case there are any doubters - here it is in black and white.  I encourage everyone to do the same as I just fell in-line with the whole perpetual vs. subscription model without thinking that last years MSA agreement would still offer yearly updates.  It clearly calls out "upgrades" in the wording.

Dave

image.thumb.png.c4f12431b5f81f4ccd0a7e2b4069f191.png

On 4/21/2020 at 4:41 AM, Igor said:

Guys, MAXON is in a uniqe situation where unforunately some painful path must be folowed and thats the transition from old to new code, which e.g. Blender didnt have to do and thus they are able to push features more quickly becasue they core allows it. This is what MAXON is doing for years now, and finally its starting to show. The complexity of that task is something only few can understand while on top of that you are adding new stuff. Trust me not an easy task at all. I am in a uniqe position and I can understand both user and development side. MAXON is working harder than ever before and trust me when I say everyone in the company want to make sure Cinema 4D is again piece of software everyone will praise again. I am sure that day will come, I have no doubts. :cowboypistol:

This post I made in the NAB2020 thread would probably be appropriate here.  In short, updating a core is NOT a trivial exercise and poses great risk. The fact that MAXON was able to successfully navigate those waters, still produce yearly releases with new features and STILL BE STABLE deserves recognition.

But...with that said....there have been releases along this journey that were not worth the money that Studio MSA holders were paying - if only because we paid a higher premium when the majority of the new features benefited even Prime license holders.  As for me, I had faith that MAXON would ultimately "deliver the goods" and I think those days are finally upon us.  The goods are coming.  

But what is NOT happening is any recognition of the loyalty of those users, especially the Studio users, who stuck with MAXON through this journey and dutifully paid their higher MSA subscriptions for lackluster releases.   Now, when R20 was released and they raised the Studio MSA prices from $620 to $750, I was not that upset because I finally felt that the "goods were coming" and MAXON should be rewarded.   

But then R21 came out and quite frankly it was a gut punch. 

Some new tools but not many to warrant a full point release and with it the pressure to move to subscriptions with a subtle threat that perpetual licensing would cost $900+.  Non Studio users now get what Studio users have been paying a premium for all those years.

Look, this is an old complaint but still just as painful.  We stuck with MAXON all those years, supporting them during a very risky time for the company as they rewrote the core.  This could easily have gone sideways for MAXON and permanently damaged the company (just look at Lightwave and e-on), its ability to complete the rewrite and their reputation.  But now that they have successfully reached the end, we are faced with higher perpetual licensing costs, a subscription model that the majority finds distasteful, and no recognition that R21 MSA holders should (by contract) be entitled to S22.

So again, I love the developers, I love the quality team, the UI designers, all the technical teams.  My gripe is not with them.

I am just disappointed that the business team places no value on user loyalty over the years and how we helped them get to where MAXON is today.

Dave

• Silver Contributor

The latest updates should be available to subscription and current MSA holders. 

It was announced that later in year a full release will be available to perpetual holders for upgrade path. 

Currently non-MSA perpetual users know their upgrade path for the year, but the price is not known.

Do active MSA holders have to hope the next upgrade is released before their MSA expires? This doesn't make sense.

Even though I plan on just using V19, I do like to see where C4D is going. The UV updates are LONG overdue and look very user friendly totally in keeping with what I love about using Cinema as an artist. Some of the other stuff seems a little light for how I use the software, the viewport enhancements are welcome but still not nearly enough. 

I gotta say, the changes for modelling, seem minimal at first, but using them, it makes a lot of difference. I am enjoying a lot! 
The new loop selection behaviour, to allow a continuous selection of a sphere for instance in different angles, is amazing. 
The new fill hole behaviour also, and the mirror selection tool..  damn, this is awesome! 
And of course, the UV improvements!

I am still hoping there will be big changes for character animation...and a more "real time" interactive render region. 

But yeah, this is a good path! I'm excited for what comes next!

PS: The GoZ interaction!! Thank you!! It was a much needed update.

3 minutes ago, FLima said:

The new loop selection behaviour, to allow a continuous selection of a sphere for instance in different angles, is amazing.

Glad to hear some positives finally. Thanks Lima, to make it a bit better, for service pack Loop Selection will get another small update of behavior. Unfortunately it was to late and risky to implement, but its coming. 🙂

U-Render Quality Assurance | C4D Cafe Contributions