Why does C4D only recognize Illustrator 8?

Hey guys,

Have any of you encountered this?      If you choose to draw a vector  shape in Adobe Illustrator for later merging into C4D as a spline,    you have to Save your Illustrator project in Illustrator 8 edition format.    Otherwise,  your spline,  merged in,   simply will not appear in C4D at all.    Thus,  any shape saved in Illustrator CC format  (or anything after 8,  in fact  ) will not be recognized by C4D.     

Illustrator 8 was a long,  long time ago by now,  no?    

I'm just curious as to why this anomaly should be so.   Any theories?

Thanks,   ras

1764778730_illustrator8.thumb.PNG.69b5fc6f8b7b7f3546e8f57d20207f26.PNG

Hi,

Still supports only version 8, but it works good in most cases, didn't have any issues so far, and I'm importing .ai files on regular basis.

Cheers, Dane

I don't think it does only recognize illustrator 8 files, I think it has been updated, but nobody shouts about it because it's still a bit flakey 😉 though I couldn't tell you what version of Cinema it changed in - just that I'm sure I read somewhere that it had. I don't have ai, so can't test myself. perhaps someone could do a definitive test in 21.207 and S22 and confirm or deny ?

CBR

The features added into Illustrator after version 8 would not really be applicable for 3D import. Rather than write code to not interpret useless information for gradients, mesh objects, bitmap placed images, etc - MAXON decided the way a lot of DCC companies did to require illustrator 8 files. IF you are wanting to import illustrator files rather than use a bitmap export from them as a template, ArtSmart is the way to go in C4D. However, files generated from  a bezier curve software application like Illustrator can cause a lot of problems in any 3D application - including C4D. They interpret the bezier curves as multiple short line segments - giving an unnecessarily number of points on the curves. That is no problem if one wants to just extrude a logo, but it will come back to bite you if you want to bevel the extruded polygons. NOTE: this issue is not unique to C4D but is a problem with every 3D application I know. You can import illustrator files but be aware of the inherent limitations. (it is not unlike the issues bring a nurbs based file into a SDS polygon editing program).

The old zaxwerks software proanimator and invigorator for AE did probably the best job with illustrator imports, but you had to be careful with the settings that caused bevels to generate ugly spikes.

I will just say, that since the introduction of the new spline pen, smooth and sketch tools I don't know why anyone is still using Illustrator to do their splines - it's actually not that great creating them there... I much prefer Cinemas spline toolset these days.

CBR

Starting from Illustrator 9 the AI format changed: up to v8 it was similar to the EPS format (but not an actual compatible EPS format) which does not support live transparency, colour management, etc.), and from v9 onward a PDF shell which includes private data that only Illustrator can read and interpret is used.

It is possible to save the AI file in Illustrator as a "PDF compatible file", which will include PDF data which is readable in any PDF viewer, and can be opened in software such as PhotoLine and Affinity.

In short: C4d reads the EPS data in Illustrator 8 AI files, but cannot process PDF data or the private data in the newer V9 and later AI file format.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, Cerbera said:

I will just say, that since the introduction of the new spline pen, smooth and sketch tools I don't know why anyone is still using Illustrator to do their splines - it's actually not that great creating them there... I much prefer Cinemas spline toolset these days.

CBR

I use Illustrator CC 2017...   and have it tricked out with all my favorite plugins,  which allow me to tweak shapes with more precision;  I also,  for whatever reason,   like to envision my splines in a flat 2D atmosphere before sending them to C4D.