Sign in to follow this  
WoopWoop

Embergen: bye bye Turbulence FD?

Anyone played with this bad boy? 

Your thoughts? Does it have much more to offer than Turbulence FD or Xparticles in terms of real-time pyros?

Had a look and it seems fun. I like the UI cleanness and some interesting fine tuning ability. But I think it really is designed for game engines as flip-book exports.

As far as real-time goes TurbulenceFD has had this from day 1, though it does not cache to disk during real time as with this software. I have not used it but the "real-time" I suspect becomes a standard GPU sim when caching to disk albeit with the ability to tweak as you go ( I assume you can ?). Not sure how more use this will be when you can do all the tweaking real-time and key frame these in TFD ready for the final sim.

Checking the documentation it is I suspected. Like TFD you real-time your sim and then when it looks suitable you have to "Save to Disk" which is a roundabout way of saying you have to simulate again.

Interestingly it is the only other fluid sim I have seen that calculates on the GPU. TurbulenceFD has had this since it's early days. FumeFX, Houdini , XP etc still have not caught up.

Also it seems to be stand-alone in that you use emitters within it's abilities. I do not think it would integrate with a scene. For instance blowing a car up and having all the 3D elements as emitters interacting with dynamics etc as we can do with the fluid sims we have at our disposal. Edit..The upcoming beta is said to be able to import meshes for collisions and I would imagine as emitters at some stage ?

So I like the UI..I like it a lot. I like the extra parameters for shading ( which of course become defunct when exporting to VDB)  and emission BUT AND THIS IS A BIG BUT. The upcoming version of TurbulenceFD will blow it out of the water. As a Beta tester I cannot say more but it is not just an "update" it is a major overhaul and the ability to drill down into configurations is going to be Houdini like. I do not have an ETA for it's release..sorry

Edit..Note that TFD does not yet have full real-time visualisations of Fire AND Smoke, it is one or the other

Looks interesting but early days as it's still in Alpha.

Competition is healthy for users regardless. 

They say it's a 12 month subscription which can transfer to perpetual...

Would certainly be nice to have a release date for new version of TFD.

TurbulenceFD

£359.00

Perpetual license

Includes maintenance updates

Includes unlimited number of render nodes

Remains valid for future updates of CINEMA 4D

EMBERGEN

£200.99..however gives the usual gobbledygook subscription speak !! https://jangafx.com/software/pricing/#type=indie&billing=yearly

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted
    58 minutes ago, paulselhi said:

The upcoming version of TurbulenceFD will blow it out of the water.

Guess that means Turbulence FD hello again 😀 Obviously TFD stays our go-to Pyro guy, so really looking forward for the update. 

I think what gives this an edge on TFD at the moment is the live visualisation. TFD is sadly lacking the ability to do a half decent shaded view in the viewport. You either get fire or smoke or nothing. Though it does have a "preview window" but i find that very clunky, it does not show decent shading and needs a cache so not truly interactive..it should have been developed more.

Thanks paulselhi for the info about the future TFD version (standalone software). I saw a preview years ago and thought it was dead since long. Unfortunately Jascha from Jawset is not very communicative and the development process is very slow.

Yes, TFD is quick on GPU but that is pretty limited, as soon as the simulation gets more complex and up-res'ed, it will fail back to CPU.

I still like TFD (I have licenses for C4D and LightWave) but X-Particles is so much more versatile and well integrated. I fear the future TFD will loose its ease-of-use from what I've seen in that preview. Embergen looks interesting but for TFD owners not so tempting.

17 hours ago, WoopWoop said:

Guess that means Turbulence FD hello again 😀 Obviously TFD stays our go-to Pyro guy, so really looking forward for the update. 

I got excited about rumours of an upcoming TFD release one too many times over the past few years. Downloadable demo version or it didn't happen 😄

By the way, TFD update for S22 is available.

10 hours ago, Marander said:

Yes, TFD is quick on GPU but that is pretty limited, as soon as the simulation gets more complex and up-res'ed, it will fail back to CPU.

Limited ? What GPU do you have ? A 12 GB GPU is almost a standard now. If you are going to be doing Simulations that exceed that capacity you are doing high quality stuff and therefore a high quality professional who should have a high quality setup..go for a pro card then like a 48 GB Quadro. And of course when it does flip over to CPU you would have at least a 4 CPU Xeon with at least 128 G RAM per CPU. Basically TFD will take what you give it.