Sign in to follow this  
catnap

Animating with/without Subdivisions?

Hi, 

I want to get your advice on a proper workflow on animating characters. 
Do you animate with subdivisions on or off. I have noticed that when I check on my subdivisions the view port is significantly slower than with out the sub D’s.

I have a pretty low poly character model, so I’m wondering if there is anything else I could do within the preferences to speed up or stop the lagging. This makes it difficult to animate, or is the best way to animate is to do it with out the sub d’s checked on , then when your ready to render check them back on?

any tips/advice would be appreciated!

catnap

Currently using R20 

Take a closer look at the SDS settings in the AM. You have different settings for Editor and Rendering. Use lower editor settings ot have a fast feedback during animation and set the render subdivisions to what you need for a sifficently smooth mesh at rendertime.

Thanks Srek I’ll check out the AM for those settings. 
Also what version of C4D are you using, I see it posted as Alpha/Beta. 

Thanks again!

Just to add you also have access to Opensubdiv made by Pixar which gives you smoother meshes in viewport for better interation.

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/new_in_cinema_4d_r18/use_opensubdiv_smoothing_for_compatibility_performance_flexibility

Here is some more info.

Dan

31 minutes ago, catnap said:

Thanks Srek I’ll check out the AM for those settings. 
Also what version of C4D are you using, I see it posted as Alpha/Beta. 

Thanks again!

Alpha/Beta means i have access to the latest release and either am a Beta Tester or MAXON employee. In my case the later. For everything happening in the forums i usually use the latest Release.

Thanks again Srek!

And great suggestion Dan!

Thank you both!!👍🏼

it's good practice to animate with sds off for maximum performance. download that free script here, add it as a button to your animation layout, clicking it will deactivate any sds object in your scene, ctrl-clicking it will activate them again. very handy, couldn't live without it.

https://helloluxx.com/tutorials/cinema4d-2/cinema4d-misc/disable-sds-script/