Sign in to follow this  
catnap

Wrist to elbow constraint?

Hello,

I'm trying to have a wrist joint turn some of the elbow joint, to give it more of a gradual twist, I found a tutorial on this but it was from a C4D version from 2011. Also in the tutorial the joint hierarchy stopped with the wrist, no fingers.

I tried some espresso with a math node (divide/2) but I'm getting this weird jumpy movement (see screen recording).

Any ideas and or solutions, or a tutorial on the web?

Many thanks in advance.

catnap

here's one way to do it. you can add more joints to the forearm chain if you like, just make sure you adjust the values in the range mappers accordingly, so you don't get an over-twist.

forearm_twist.c4d

@everfresh Thanks allot for the example file!! it makes sense! Although,

I tried it out on my rig and something is not working. Should I have set this forearm chain up before I added the finger joints? does it mater?

I have attached a sample of the left forearm of the character I'm working on. If you have the time and wouldn't mind looking it over?

Could it be the axis of the forearm joints?

Many thanks!

catnap

Low_poly_Geo_forearm chain.c4d

7 hours ago, catnap said:

@everfresh Thanks allot for the example file!! it makes sense! Although,

I tried it out on my rig and something is not working. Should I have set this forearm chain up before I added the finger joints? does it mater?

I have attached a sample of the left forearm of the character I'm working on. If you have the time and wouldn't mind looking it over?

Could it be the axis of the forearm joints?

Many thanks!

catnap

Low_poly_Geo_forearm chain.c4d 577.28 kB · 0 downloads

the fingers don't matter. what matters though is the alignment of the joints. yours are all aligned differently, and since the rotation values you're feeding are local you get those weird results. make sure all the joints in your chain face with the z-axis along the chain. another good practice is to set the rotation order for the joints in the chain to avoid gimbal lock as much as possible. 

here's a video that explains the concept of gimbal lock very well, also take a look at my file and in the attributes coordinates tab, check the rotation orders of the joints and controllers.

@everfresh

Many thanks for that Euler video!

I had a difficult time figuring this one out, but I think I managed to do it. I ended up having to redo the elbow and wrist joints so that they all had the same orientation. It really helps if you make the joints in the top view (view port).

Thanks again for you advice and references!!

best

catnap

Comp_4.gif