Sign in to follow this  
Sxfff

small object taking extremely long to load & work as colider

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone,

So imported an obj from sketchup, combined all objects and removed the textures. Its a model of powerplant site and im trying to get a fire simulation going through it with x particles but no matter how small i import the obj it takes long to really load.. and when i use the colider tag it just freezes the whole program.

I'm not sure why? i've made it pretty small and the polygon count isnt crazy either.. i dont know much about normals etc - could that be why?

edit: ok so the polygon count is crazy after all. Does anyone know how to reduce it? i've tried the polygon reduction but it doesnt seem to work. is there an option within c4d to to just reduce the polygons to only whats visible on the outside?

File here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tiabr9udcprfw4o/AADqxH4WP-bv-FjbPvBbssBla?dl=0

Cinema 4D S22.016 (RC) - [pp.c4d _] - Main 14_05_2020 20_30_03.png

Edited by Sxfff
update

No, dynamics don't care about normals. There will be some other reason that's not working. Dynamics does very much care about scale for example. Will have a look at your file later if I have time and no1 beats me to it, after which I shall know more...

CBR

Not sure what is going on with that, my computer doesn't like it at all, the file is 244mb which is pretty huge for cinema i think.

Seems to be some objects very far apart, you can just see in the grab. I didn't count the polys but it has over 2million points so there is certainly plenty of something in there somewhere but its just too slow for me to look into it anymore.

Deck

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 21.17.03.png

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, deck said:

Not sure what is going on with that, my computer doesn't like it at all, the file is 244mb which is pretty huge for cinema i think.

Seems to be some objects very far apart, you can just see in the grab. I didn't count the polys but it has over 2million points so there is certainly plenty of something in there somewhere but its just too slow for me to look into it anymore.

Deck

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 21.17.03.png

Thanks so much for looking. Would you know how to reduce it and extract only the main visible part from the obj?

If there are 2 million polys in it there is the answer for why your computer falls over - dynamics is just not capable of working at that sort of density. So you will need to build low poly cages around it, and use those as colliders instead.

CBR

Hi, this is a closeup of one object that is times 14 in this "small object".🙂

plant.png

Your best solution will be to delete all the small unseen items/parts reduce the un necessary geometry  of one set of machines and multiply by fourteen.