Sign in to follow this  
FLima

Staying mentally healthy.

I wanted to know, how are you folks cooping with this weird times we are experiencing. And if you have any advices to share 🙂

Over here, I am trying to adapt and learn everyday new routines. I used to be an evening person, being more productive from 18:00 and so on, and continue to work until 2:00 am... but after all this pandemic started, I found myself being completely unable to work for a few weeks, until I realised that starting to work on early morning, 6:00 am, was being super helpful. I became a morning person! 

And since I also struggle with depression and anxiety, I decided to limit how often I watch the news, usually 3 to 5 times a week, usually at noon, so i dont trigger any weird anxiety episode at night and have insomnia (which would only make things worse).

Generally, I am feeling better now for the past 2 weeks! I am productive again, and I am back at producing personal artworks, and I was even able to rig a quadruped for the first time, from scratch 🙂

So yeah, would love to know your work/daily routine and how you are managing to get work done, and still having fun meanwhile (well, within the limitations we are experiencing right now).

Stay safe everyone!

Learning learning learning was the key for me. I had a drop-off in work that has (for now at least) recovered to some extent, so had some extra time to play with and have been using that to not only catch up with some personal 3D work, but also to start a new hobby, which in my case was learning orchestral arrangement pretty much from scratch. I still had (remote) contact with all my friends and family, so didn't feel that 'socially challenged', although I must confess to being somewhat reclusive and night-owlish even when I'm not in a lockdown, so not much has practically changed there.

I don't watch the news at all, other than what I can't avoid seeing on social media streams, and a once a week visit to the BBC to see what the latest guidelines / scientific advice is. I suspect I am a lot happier and less worried by excluding news and media on a fairly wholesale basis 🙂

The cafe has been very helpful too - lots of covid threads have come and gone which have all helped pass the time and see how our 3D friends have been getting along, and of course if I can help anyone a bit more, then that helps (me at least) feel better about valuable use of downtime etc etc...

Like you, I also tend towards depression and anxiety if too many things start going wrong at once, but have so far managed to stay on the right side of that particular black hole, although I think anyone freelance in our industry has some level of background anxiety going on, crisis or not - sort of the nature of the game we are in, but +20% because we're all in a lockdown ! But I'll still happily take that over job security and having to go into some horrible office all day every day to do something I am uninterested in ! 🙂

So, for me, the recipe for 'Covid contentment' is:

• Learn new sh**
  • Push a lot of polys around, fully absorbing the zen-like calm that doing so imparts
  • Minimise news
  • Maximise music
  • Keep talking to friends
  • Try and help where you can.
  • Drink a lot of tea / spend a lot of time with cat.

Stay safe peoples...

CBR

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”

― T.H. White, The Once and Future King