Sign in to follow this  
DavidGraham

Simple 3D cross

Hi folks. 

Bit of a newbie question here but how can i make a simple extruded cross that has subdivisions on all sides. 

I have tried making a spline and extruding but then have the two cap faces that have no subdivisions. 

The other way I have tried is to intersect two rectangle but then have a mash up of polygons in the middle section where they overlap. 

Context wise - I want to make this shape to feed into the divider/fragmentation plugin

The aim is to create floating polygons on the surface of a cross. 

I'm pretty much there but the duplicated polygons in the middle of the cross are messing up the effect of the plugin. 

Thanks.  

Does that divider plugin require splines, or do you have the option to make it properly out of polygons ?

At the simplest level the topology for a cross should look something like this...

image.thumb.png.e203f1e8413ab694181eed62761210b5.png

...and if the plugin does require splines then you can create one very easily from a poly shape like this using the edge to spline command with the outline edges selected... if you do that you will get a spline point at every edge point in the original model, so in this case...

image.thumb.png.06097a027936125e8d4075648f20edd6.png

...this. Is that the sort of thing you want ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hey CBR thanks for the reply

Apologies but i have led you astray a bit. I didnt mean a religious type cross more the mathematical plus symbol. Probably should have just said that. 

As i said before bit of a newbie so cant explain in detail how the plugin works. It just needs a subdivided surface. 

In the example they use a primitive plain, subdived it, add the plugin and then use bevel deformers to seperate the polygons and a cloth surface to add thickness. 

I have managed to do the same on all the surfaces of a plus symbol but it gets messy in the middle section. 

I assume its because this is where the two rectangle making up the plus symbol overlap and so you have duplicate ploygons. 

The third idea i had just before calling for help here is to use a cube subdivide it and delete polygons to make the plus shape? 

As i said thansk for your help. 

Ok, so you want something more like this right ?

image.thumb.png.cbc8d0f8937d025569fd2119603fd70d.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes! Exactly that. 

OK, that is very easy to make.

1. Get cube, make editable.

2. Poly mode, select the 4 faces on the sides.

3. Extrude tool (not object) make sure angle is under 89 degrees, turn caps off (if they are not already) and type in the height of the cube to the extrude depth under tool attributes / hit enter

4. Ctrl-A to select all polys. R-click, Subdivide (settings wheel). Make sure smooth mode is off, and subdivide to level 3 or 4.

Done

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Legend. 

Cheers mate. Obvioulsy its a bit of a case of my eyes being bigger than my skillset 😂

See all these amzing things online to make and want to dive in. 

No worries dude - this is how we learn. There are lots of basic c4d modelling tutorials on YouTube, which are a very good place to start...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 👍👊