Sign in to follow this  
hobbyist

Use Cloud Storage For Working Files Between Machines

Does anyone keep their working files "in the cloud" on something like OneDrive or Dropbox and switch between different machines to work from? 

I've only started doing it to go between a PC and Laptop but so far these are basic projects I'm working off. For more heavy projects do you think the working files based in the cloud would impact performance of the project?

I was copying the files locally to SSD's but then forgetting to re-upload it, then just kept them on cloud. Seems to be OK with no noticeable affect, but very simple projects. Wondering if large textures would struggle or slow performance. 

I get all my files from a cloud somewhere, but I want textures on my machine to actually load them from so that paths are established properly in the file structure...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I get all my files from a cloud somewhere, but I want textures on my machine to actually load them from so that paths are established properly in the file structure...

CBR

Ah I create a copy at the project location which seems to do the trick. I've noticed when I place a reference image into the project (Viewport Configure > Back tab > Image) I don't get the prompt to create a copy at the project, which I have to reload that between machines. 

The one downside is when I'm deleting the tex folders at the end, it'll lose those paths, but maybe on final version I'll do a save with project with assets for archiving.

I run my whole business and workflow through Dropbox.

When I am the only artist on the project I do not make local copies of tex files, all of which are on Dropbox as well. When I switch machines, I update the path prefix via the texture manager/asset inspector which just take a minute to do. I keep a text file with all the correct paths for all our machines and just copy and paste. If I need to deliver a Cinema source file with tex folder, I just Save Project with Assets. 

When I am part of a bigger project team via shared Dropbox folder and Slack, we dup all texture files to a tex folder with the master Cinema file. It all lives together. 

Dropbox is not so bad because it downloads all the files to the local pc.  If you want to have a bunch of PCs render the same file at the same time then it might be impossible.  You need a lan connection for a main computer to send all the data to all the nodes.

• Topic Author
  • 19 hours ago, EAlexander said:

I run my whole business and workflow through Dropbox.

When I am the only artist on the project I do not make local copies of tex files, all of which are on Dropbox as well. When I switch machines, I update the path prefix via the texture manager/asset inspector which just take a minute to do. I keep a text file with all the correct paths for all our machines and just copy and paste. If I need to deliver a Cinema source file with tex folder, I just Save Project with Assets. 

When I am part of a bigger project team via shared Dropbox folder and Slack, we dup all texture files to a tex folder with the master Cinema file. It all lives together. 

This is really super helpful, thank you!

4 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Dropbox is not so bad because it downloads all the files to the local pc.  If you want to have a bunch of PCs render the same file at the same time then it might be impossible.  You need a lan connection for a main computer to send all the data to all the nodes.

When I'm using team render I have them all render to local drives rather than render to one of the cloud drives. Although I think OneDrive works similar to Dropbox where you can set it to always have a file available local, on demand or clear it out. 

Dropbox is great for this, 

I use it by synchronise the works I'm currently working locally, and switching off the sync for finished work and store them on the cloud.

If you fear to lose it after some time, you can use another cloud service for finished work, or store them on SSD also. 

Actually I copy the finished ones on SSD. We never know ;).

I use one drive. I have Office 365 so I have 1 TB storage.