Sign in to follow this  
Sxfff

do i need a new pc???

I need advice on if i need a whole new pc or not..

Recently after installing octane 2020 and a windows update my GPU (RTX2080TI) has been extremely loud and now just crashes, (sometimes with a black screen) everytime i try to render anything.

So far i've tried:

• installing the latest rtx studio driver
  • Run a GPU performance test on Unigine which didnt give me the greatest benchmark but didnt crash atleast.
  • Run a Dell system support GPU stress test (passed)
  • Run a Dell System video card performance test which crashes and reports that it's a blue screen problem to which i then rolled back the latest windows video card driver
  • Uninstalled latest Windows updates
  • re installed c4d

Nothings worked. I have to mention that this PC from dell has been the absolute worst to deal with since the beginning in terms of upgrading parts, bugs etc. Are all pc builds like this?!

Seeing as Unigine didn't report any problems i dont think its an gpu issue, especially as its a 2080ti and im just trying to render an extremely basic scene.

12 minutes ago, Sxfff said:

Are all pc builds like this?!

No. If you build it yourself out of components you (and your expert advisers choose) then it's usually a much nicer experience, because it's free of all that bloatware & silly bios restrictions that off-the-shelf systems can't seem to help themselves installing.

Have you checked Octane 2020 minimum specs and / or contacted Otoy support to try and get some answers as to why yours isn't working ? Only I think I'd probably investigate that a bit more before I started reaching for the upgrades department...

CBR

Ok. And what did Octane support say ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • wait sorry i think i quoted your reply wrong - meant to say:

I have checked minimum requirements and even went back to octane 2019 just incase.

I've reached out to them and i'm still waiting for a reply, but the log files are also empty which isn't really going to get us anywhere i think.

Because of the blue screen error i'm thinking its a system issue and i've had enough of it at this point, i guess i just need to be patient but any advice would be appreciated.

Go into Event Viewer 

image.png.92d46faa53c2f2455f43a84bee071fda.png

Expand Windows Logs and highlight System

image.thumb.png.7d44920779473681a6ce14e341c5cd28.png

Warnings usually don't mean anything, but check if you see any/many errors that correspond to the time of crashes. You'll see an Event ID associated with the Error. Google Event Error #Event ID and it might give you some more information on what's causing it

• Topic Author
  • 30 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

Go into Event Viewer 

image.png.92d46faa53c2f2455f43a84bee071fda.png

Expand Windows Logs and highlight System

image.thumb.png.7d44920779473681a6ce14e341c5cd28.png

Warnings usually don't mean anything, but check if you see any/many errors that correspond to the time of crashes. You'll see an Event ID associated with the Error. Google Event Error #Event ID and it might give you some more information on what's causing it

Thank you ! this definitely helps.

If your warranty is not up sent it to Dell. 

If your warranty is over I'd say open the case and check to see if the video card is clogged with dust.  Check the GPU temps.  If it's getting hot and there is no dust or cleaning the dust does not fix it then you will have to take apart the heat sink on the card and re due the cooling pads and thermal paste.  I've heard a lot of those RTX 2080ti cards in dells are the blower type, which is fine in my opinion if built right, but not built right so the cooling pads go bad and the paste is cheap.  Maybe on purpose so it fails right after warranty.  With greedy corporations I would not put it over them to research something like that.