Hello! I'm new to this forum, and C4D in some way. So, for one project, I am working on I needed rails. So, I hopped into illustrator, made rail spline, imported it into C4D, extruded it and wanted to export it. I exported it as OBJ. I used other software, inserted the OBJ and there was a big problem; the mesh was transparent from some angles. The effect after export looks like I have backface culling on export. I'm new and I am not sure how to fix that rail. How may I fix that? 

Thanks for any help! 

Welcome to the cafe 🙂

We'd need to see your original file with sweep still parametric. Pls upload it, and ideally a screenshot of the issue you are getting.

CBR

You could try just inverting the normals in C4D before export.

Yeah good shout there Frodo, very much agree it is likely to be that.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the idea! How may invert normals? I checked google and youtube and didn't found anything about that.

Here are screenshots from C4D and UE. (Used to show the issue, not using it for this project)

C4D.png

issue.png

In the options of the Extrude object is a checkbox called flip normals.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Okay, I used the "flip normals" function in extruding settings but with no luck - the issue is still here. What else could be the issue? As asked, I am uploading the file with just rails. 

Rail.c4d

Ok the problem here involves the symmetry object, which is not really meant for splines, and has produced inverted Normals for one side of your object, which can be shown below by making the parent object editable, going into Poly Mode, and selecting all polys.

image.thumb.png.7e48a5f4f5329a77d74cc863fd3a8874.png

The blue ones are the incorrect ones - they should all be orange facing the camera.

So, you can either correct this once the shapes have been made editable via align normals command, or you can not use symmetry, and instead build a spline that is both sides at once. You can use symmetry for that purpose, but you need to then make the symmetry editable, and weld the join points in the new spline so it becomes truly a single object that you can feed into the extrude.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Oh, I didn't know that's a problem. I will try to fix that, thank you for help! 

Posted (edited)

You're welcome. The single spline you feed into your Extrude object should look like this when you have finished fixing the editable version. Notice it is one continuous path going from white to blue, which is what you need in this Extrude generator...

image.thumb.png.0d2abc34e3eff15e05aafcea8b1246b3.png

Just as a side note - this is a fairly ropey old spline in terms of nice construction - Cinema would have done a far nicer job than Illustrator in creating it - so maybe next time you need splines, don't go running off over there when you have perfect spline creation tools right here in Cinema...

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
    Added info pls refresh page