POP UP BOOK RIG

Hi, (c4d R21 file included)

Trying to create a pop-up book. Tried a few different tutorials and ideas. Using a page object with bone structure for left of page and right of page and middle.  When page 1 opens up the "L_Rotate" bone rotates the left page open, "middle" bone rotates the middle binding of page and "R_Rotate" bone is PSR constraint so it doesnt follow middle bone. once the page 2 opens the "L_rotate" is PSR Constraint and "middle" rotates and R_Rotate is unlocked from PSR constraint to close the first page.
Its quite messy at the moment in the file but the general idea is there for you to see. 8 pages turning and stacking from right to left as the each page is finished.
My questions
-Is there a easier solution or ideas to achieve this effect much cleaner?
-sometimes on playback my constraints aren't working and i get different results on render. sometimes a page will fly in the air for a frame and then snap back. Is there something wrong ive done with the constraints? something to fix with the keyframes or weight on/off instance?
- Just really how might you tackle this problem?
- would it be hard to make a slider animation for each page to open? any tutorials on this style of book?

any help would be amazing, thankyou. Let me know if i need to explain more.

book1.jpg

book2.jpg

book3.jpg

POPUPBOOK_HELP1.c4d

Hi There.

This is a possible way.

However, did you tried using a cloner for the book? With a few deformers and a nicely setup cloner, i think you can manage to create this effect very easily and cleaner. It might no be the most realistic but it works well.

There are also a few other tuts about book rigging and other products like preset tools.

https://giannilorusso.com/2015/02/16/realbook-preset-the-best-book-rig-for-c4d/

cheers

I did a magazine flip once and I made the animation of a single page with rotation and two bend deformers (one for the general bending that occurs when you open a book, the other rotated 45 degrees to simulate the bottom corner to be picked up).

Then I used xref to impotz this page into my magazine.c4d and used it in a cloner. Adding the shift in height of the left and right "stack" was a bit tricky, but trial and error with a step effector did the trick. Front and  back cover where animated seperately. 

Btw: I textured the sheets with different materials on the front and back faces. So I needed a single plane for one sheet.

flipPage.c4d

Hey, I did not find my original magazine.c4d and the corresponding page.c4d (did it for a former employer). But I found a experiment that I wanted to try to make the pageflip mor versatile. I ended up with a expresso rig with "user data" to drive the animation. So this was in preparation for some more complicated experiment with magazine animations. But the keyframed animation is essentially the animatoin I used for my original pageflip.

Hope you find something...

KWS

In R18 there is a magazine preset in the content browser ( grab below ), Ive also seen it done in a helolux tutorial where he rigged the top and bottom of the page with joints to make a nice flip. Not got round to rigging one myself tho.

Deck

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 10.19.56.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 8:17 PM, jbatista said:

Hi There.

This is a possible way.

However, did you tried using a cloner for the book? With a few deformers and a nicely setup cloner, i think you can manage to create this effect very easily and cleaner. It might no be the most realistic but it works well.

There are also a few other tuts about book rigging and other products like preset tools.

https://giannilorusso.com/2015/02/16/realbook-preset-the-best-book-rig-for-c4d/

cheers

Hi thanks for your suggestion, sorry i didn't receive any notifcations for this post, i kind of posted this question everywhere.
Ive used realbook which is amazing for pages with that spine style, but the style im going for is hard card pages that is one page folded on itself. (like in example2.jpg). Im sure if i had more experience i could get a cloner version going, which ill need to do more tutorials on still. but for now animating by hand is working as long as i dont use parent constraints and all PSRs. Once ive finished my path ill upload the file here in case anyone needs it or can improve it.
Cheers

example2.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 4:52 PM, kweso said:

I did a magazine flip once and I made the animation of a single page with rotation and two bend deformers (one for the general bending that occurs when you open a book, the other rotated 45 degrees to simulate the bottom corner to be picked up).

Then I used xref to impotz this page into my magazine.c4d and used it in a cloner. Adding the shift in height of the left and right "stack" was a bit tricky, but trial and error with a step effector did the trick. Front and  back cover where animated seperately. 

Btw: I textured the sheets with different materials on the front and back faces. So I needed a single plane for one sheet.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, kweso said:

flipPage.c4d 362.56 kB · 3 downloads

Hey, I did not find my original magazine.c4d and the corresponding page.c4d (did it for a former employer). But I found a experiment that I wanted to try to make the pageflip mor versatile. I ended up with a expresso rig with "user data" to drive the animation. So this was in preparation for some more complicated experiment with magazine animations. But the keyframed animation is essentially the animatoin I used for my original pageflip.

Hope you find something...

KWS

Hi thanks for this ive run out of time to experiment any further with this, i had to move on with other elements inside the book, so i went with animating each one by hand so there was no further setbacks, fixed the constraints with only using PSR vs parent. In future ill look into cloner/step effectors which seem to solve some other problems im sure to have later on with this project. i hope to make a more versatile version with these suggestions of the popup book and post it up for all.
Cheers