Sign in to follow this  
FLima

A proper/pro rigging tutorial for C4D?

Hello! 
I've worked with character animation for about 6 years now.. and I feel that i have a good understanding overall of character animation, constraints, xpresso, etc... But I still dont feel I bring my A game to this. Things that most of the time doesnt work with my rigs are shoulder movements, skinning, the wrist turning, how far the legs are bending when lower my character... and facial animation.

I've desperately tried to find a very good and professional tutorial for character animation, free or paid tutorials, from start to finish, but without success. Not even cineversity has much info. A lot of the info is around mixamo and premade setups...

There is this tutorial I bought, for Blender rigging, that goes really in-depth:
https://gumroad.com/l/the-art-of-rigging-in-blender

Isnt there something like this for C4D? 

Thanks in advance

Hi

It seems from your description that there would be little I could help you with on this as Iv learnt much of what I have from Cineversity.

For shoulders I rely on real anatomy more or for lateral raise, that being the clavicle automatically lifts once the Humerus reaches the point of the Acromium process.  To may times iv see many try to raise the arm lateraly all the way up without roatating the clavicle.   Other than that for me its placing the joint right in line with the arm pit.  Now Im not a rigger, its just something iv had to learn to get some things done.  Rigging gets crazy complicated far from where Im at.

Wrist rotation from a Supination to Pronation needs two joints in the forearm.  This is something I did in Messiah Studio with sucess, but it was quite easy to do these expressions.  This is yet somthing I have translated over to C4D as Iv been just so busy with other stuff.  

I think what you have been doing is what many do, and thats learn from other DCC.  Maya has so many such advanced tutorials but iv found the best ones always goes into Mel scripting and thats where I switch off.  If you have exhausted what Cineversity has to offer then maybe its the case that you should be the one to make some tutorials 😉 as Bret covers a great deal.  With PSD morphs for corrections, Delta Mush plugin to aid in the process its the case of working on the best topology, weighting, and adding helper joints.  Using a 3 rig set up for me does what I need regarding Ik blending, and I can rotate the arms above the characters head lateraly without issues.

Question I would ask is can the Blender tutorial be trasnlated over to C4D tool set?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Rectro said:

If you have exhausted what Cineversity has to offer then maybe its the case that you should be the one to make some tutorials 😉

Aaah Dan, only if I was as concisive and smart like you, for sure, would love to make some tutorials 🙂 

I am trying at this moment to translate some of the things from this blender tutorial into C4D, but it is quite tricky to a lot of moments... specially since the IK has a different way to set up, and the constraints (or copy rotation/location) from Blender has a different hierarchy too. I feel like that in these last versions of C4D, a lot of the focus were put into Mixamo integration, so i dont know what happened.. but not many great tutorials came after that.. but again, maybe it is an oversight of mine, or the things that were made available are already things I have learned long time ago.

For shoulders I rely on real anatomy more or for lateral raise, that being the clavicle automatically lifts once the Humerus reaches the point of the Acromium process.  To may times iv see many try to raise the arm lateraly all the way up without roatating the clavicle.   Other than that for me its placing the joint right in line with the arm pit.  Now Im not a rigger, its just something iv had to learn to get some things done.  Rigging gets crazy complicated far from where Im at.

I will try to understand better this, Ithink you have a good point... it is all about the initial setup, and how the bone structure behaves once the shoulder rotates
    I will go take another good look at Cineversity and see what else I can gather from there.

16 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Using a 3 rig set up for me does what I need regarding Ik blending, and I can rotate the arms above the characters head lateraly without issues.

This! This is quite important for me, 
    I feel like Im one of those students that skipped an entire class for a year, and when someone brings a topic, he has literally no idea what everyone is talking about. I only recently found out about these kinds of setup, and there are still a lot to learn about it. 

I think maybe it is the lazy/almost 40 man in me wanting to have a clear path, from A to Z, to make sure I go over every tiny detail on the rigging process, to make sure I finally improve as a character animator, but you are right Dan... I think I need to find some other resources from other 3D packages, and see how I can translate that into C4D environment.

Thannk you so much for these advices Dan!

The 3 rig set up I learnt from Cineversity, and another version of it I done with constraints along with some basic espresso but the easy way is to use Morph targets to blend between two rigs.  1:  Skinned rig to character,  2: IK rig,  3: FK rig.  If I can find it, Il post it up for you to break down, its rather simple but complete.  I think I then moved on to Foot rigs, again Cineversity. 

There is a very good resource that I think not many know about from Posespace website.  Its a complete women's articulation of every limb (Mandy Complete), it shows the natural limits and its in form of video clips, if you ask to purchase the whole lot they  do it cheaper.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thank you so much Dan!
    I will give a shot again at Cineversity, and hopefully I can finally improve as a character animator.
    And yes, this is a very very good resource from Posespace! I have bookmarked here and will probably purchase soon. I only recently started to film myself as a reference for some of the animations, to make sure I got it right some of the things... rookie mistake, I know. This is extremely necessary but we tend to forget, having a good reference before animating something complex.

Thanks again Dan! 

Unfortunatly i also find very few tuts on this subject. Most of my rigging solutions are a translate from other softwares but with a lot of tweaking by my self. Also, most advanced stuff is difficult to find anywhere else. I can still find some stuff for human rigging but for other type of animals or creatures its almost impossible. I have already rigged a bird and that was crazy difficult because of the wing feathers . I found nothing usefull on that subject. I feel that if we want to create more advanced solutions we have to find ourselves the way to do it. 

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, jbatista said:

Unfortunatly i also find very few tuts on this subject. Most of my rigging solutions are a translate from other softwares but with a lot of tweaking by my self. Also, most advanced stuff is difficult to find anywhere else. I can still find some stuff for human rigging but for other type of animals or creatures its almost impossible. I have already rigged a bird and that was crazy difficult because of the wing feathers . I found nothing usefull on that subject. I feel that if we want to create more advanced solutions we have to find ourselves the way to do it. 

Do you have a cool human rig tutorial reference JBatista?
    I can only imagine what a complex task must be to rig a bird! Do you have the result of your adventure if you can share? 🙂

11 minutes ago, FLima said:

Do you have a cool human rig tutorial reference JBatista?
    I can only imagine what a complex task must be to rig a bird! Do you have the result of your adventure if you can share? 🙂

he posted it in the facial rigging thread a couple of days ago 😉

Hey! 

Actually my technical  references are pretty basic. i've watched some tutorials for maya, mostly about multiple joint chains in character limbs and such. From there i learned to replicate that in c4d but those were technical concepts since i've no intereset to work with maya. i've also checked some tutorials from cineversity but i found those a bit superficial. 

Cinema 4d has some interesting rigged human models you can find in the content browser, plus they added some cartoon models from Ace5  Studios that have a different type of rig, much simpler, and also a facial rig that is very cool to learn. 

I usually break that into components and do some revearse engineering. That's my way to work. 

For the bird i used this video from The Mill just for inspiration. It's just a breakdown so they cut out all tech parts. i also found something about the mechanics of wing feathers, but never related to rigging and absolutly nothing in c4d. The guys at the Mill made an incredible work and we tried to do our best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkagLUbs95Q

In the end our bird was like this:

http://glimpsevfx.com/portfolio/leroy-merlin-robin/

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, jbatista said:

Hey! 

Actually my technical  references are pretty basic. i've watched some tutorials for maya, mostly about multiple joint chains in character limbs and such. From there i learned to replicate that in c4d but those were technical concepts since i've no intereset to work with maya. i've also checked some tutorials from cineversity but i found those a bit superficial. 

Cinema 4d has some interesting rigged human models you can find in the content browser, plus they added some cartoon models from Ace5  Studios that have a different type of rig, much simpler, and also a facial rig that is very cool to learn. 

I usually break that into components and do some revearse engineering. That's my way to work. 

For the bird i used this video from The Mill just for inspiration. It's just a breakdown so they cut out all tech parts. i also found something about the mechanics of wing feathers, but never related to rigging and absolutly nothing in c4d. The guys at the Mill made an incredible work and we tried to do our best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkagLUbs95Q

In the end our bird was like this:

http://glimpsevfx.com/portfolio/leroy-merlin-robin/

I... am... speechless, at such awesome work!
    Big congrats JBatista!
    I gotta say, seeing how much talent is displayed within this forum, it kinda gives this extra injection of inspiration about C4D, and it proves that someone, that knows what they are doing, can really push the capabilities of the software really far!

I love the idea of reverse engineering. I've done a very long time ago.. with Flabo, our good friend Flabo from C4D. 
    And by some weird distraction, I havent downloaded the presets on C4D on this last version, and you are right, there are amazing rigs over there 🙂 There is even a t-rex!!

Thanks for sharing this with me JBatista, I appreciate it! Obrigado 🙂