Sign in to follow this  
Tralfaz

What causes this?

Hi Folks.

I have a fairly large and intensive scene with 1.3 million polygons.  There is a fair amount of Xpresso and rigged and animated characters.  Things have really started to slow down when I am working in C4D now.  I have an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 with 16GB or RAM.  Would the bottleneck be the CPU or RAM.  I have an old video card that has a few Cuda cores, but it isn't anything to write home about.  What I've been doing is working on a small animation, then merging it into the larger scene which has helped a bit.  Is it the size of the project that is causing problems?

Can't afford any upgrades right now, but if there are some settings that could be tweaked or anything like that, please let me know.  I remember with Hash's Animation:Master that once you hit 10K patches, it would bog down to the point of being unusable.  Apparently that was a limitation of the software.  That is why I moved over to C4D.

Thanks in advance...

Al

<Edit>  The other thing I forgot to mention is that if you try to move the project or run the animation or even advancing 1 frame, all the objects turn into transparent blocks that go back to normal after you are done what you were doing. </Edit>

The issue is in most cases not the number of polygons, but the number of objects, and in this case most likely the number of XPresso and rigs that have to be evaluated. If you can, merge static objects into one (but that won't help with animated stuff).

Cuda cores will not help you with that; object evaluation still runs on the CPU. More RAM will not help you (as long as the scene fits into the RAM at all; look at the task manager to determine whether the OS is doing any RAM swapping which slows down the system extremely). IMO the only thing that would be effective in such a case is a significantly faster CPU.

Doing the animation in parts in separate projects is a good idea because it reduces the number of objects that C4D handles at once. But naturally it's not always possible to split.

The blocks you encounter while moving the scene is a simplified view. C4D falls back to that when the drawing of the full scene takes too long. There's a setting in the preferences to set a redraw time limit.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Cairyn for the quick reply.  Don't think I will be updating the CPU any time soon.  I am off work now and for 95% of what I do, it is just fine.  I looked at the specs and I have 10833 objects in the scene.  I have lots of 1960's computer consoles in the scene, each with their own buttons and flashing lights.  The human characters were exported out of DAZ 3D and have maybe 4 objects to them other than the rig.  I doubled the redraw time limit and will see how that works.