Fynn Ribbeck

Default Mixamo Template Rig Hand/Arm Controller Parenting Issue

Hi,

short question about the default setup of the mixamo template:

when creating a character with the Mixamo Control Rig preset within the Character builder, the IK arm controllers are influenced/ parented to the mover/ pelvis control by default. This setup makes the IK controller pretty unusable, because the hand does not stay in place when moving the pelvis control like it is supposed to. It is for example impossible to have the character put one hand on a wall while moving his pelvis, as the control is constantly moving in place and has to be reset each frame.

I could not find a solution for this and it strikes me as rather odd to have this as the default, as the Quadruped template for example does not have this problem. Am I missing something?

Well, the thing is, if you're using mocap(which is the intended use for that template) it was needed to work that way. If you're not using Mocap, then use the Advanced Biped rig. 

If you are using Mocap you could still do it by either parent constraining or psr constraining the IK controller to another object that you can treat as the IK control. Just make some object, and put the tag on the mixamo ik arm controller. 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the suggestion! I was using The Cactus Dan lock constraint to lock the object into world space which also worked but was kind of annoying. I think I will use your surrogate control method.

I use the mixamo templates mainly because it is so much faster than rigging with the Character builder and you basically have a rigged character within minutes. I mostly only use the advanced biped for any hero characters that need a bit more control. That's why I was  a bit surprised to find this IK behavior, but it makes sense what you say why it's like that.

Thanks for your help again:)