Sign in to follow this  
BlastercastG

best way to reduce number of points/polys to attach this object ?

Hi,

How would I go about attaching this switch to the main body? How can I reduce the number of points on the switch? Im trying to learn about good geometry and can't seem to figure this one out... many thanks..

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 15.40.38.png

You wouldn't, at least if you intended to continue using Subdivision Surfaces for this. Far better to just inner extrude the 4 polys in that area in the original SDS mesh , conform those 8 points to a circle, and carry on from there, modelling that detail as part of the original mesh and letting SDS do all the work. This sort of thing...

image.thumb.png.7fa28b078267be20945b168fbe551d54.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera, Ive copied your picture. I bevelled the point in the centre to make the circle (ish) shape. Its not a proper circle is that because my area is a rectangle?  Is there anything I can do to make it more circular?

Screenshot_2020-05-19_at_16_31_09.png

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera, Ive copied your picture. I bevelled the point in the centre to make the circle (ish) shape. Its not a proper circle is that because my area is a rectangle?  Is there anything I can do to make it more circular?

I moved the  points around manually to create a circle and wanted to know if there was a more precise way.

I would have adjusted the topology of that section so it was a square, which would make things a bit easier, but you can fix it anyway.

You need either the Points-to circle script (free, but make sure you get the one that works with R21) or comes with HB Modelling bundle.

Without either of those you can setup a guide nside spline (8 sides), turn on spline snap, and use that to get your perfect circle...

CBR

Oh forgot to give you the one more automatic way. If you can make the polys a square section first, you can just insert 2 diagonal cross cuts, then bevelling that centre point will also do a circle, though you need to manually complete the centre of that to line cut it into quads...

image.thumb.png.49a110b283d915a090cddc0d3380f3e5.png image.thumb.png.1e8ccf7cb4086a6da0d07efaebb90e9b.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much the tips. Really helpful.