Sign in to follow this  
alistaircsmith

90 degree rotation intervals in cloner

Hi all,

I've been snooping around C4D Cafe since my college days and never posted once, but here I am!

I'm interested in whether the below can be replicated in C4D:

I am keen to be able to replicate the 90 degree incremental rotation that's somehow randomly driven (potentially noise or colorizer)

I have found a tutorial on using the Formula effector to create 90 degree angles. I'm just not sure how I would take that and animate it to create the above?

Any help appreciated 🙂

• Topic Author
  • Just noticed the rotation seems to be 90, 90, 180 then it loops for each cube.

Would doing some kind of Gradient step on a Plain Effector work? Where 25% black rotates 90 degrees, then 50% black rotates it a further 90 degrees and then 100% black flips it back round again?

A delay effector set to spring to get the bounce?

few solutions posted in this thread:

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, bezo said:

few solutions posted in this thread:

Thanks for the comment, appreciate it. 

None of these work correctly. The one with the rotation snaps and theres no transition. 

Heres a version with plain effectors traveling thru the group to rotate clones, random effector to change the clone weight and a delay for the springy stop which I have cranked up for extra emphasis.

would imagine you could get this done with various effectors and combos of effectors.

Deck

Clones thru 90.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, deck said:

Heres a version with plain effectors traveling thru the group to rotate clones, random effector to change the clone weight and a delay for the springy stop which I have cranked up for extra emphasis.

would imagine you could get this done with various effectors and combos of effectors.

Deck

Clones thru 90.c4d 165.07 kB · 1 download

Oh wow, awesome! Thanks a lot for this. 

I will be studying this file for the next hour i'm sure! Thanks again!  

No worries.

The speed of the flip will be dependent on how fast the plain effector travels thru the clones which is obviously keyframed in the timeline, but also the length and parameters of the falloff.

With a bit of fiddling and careful timing, you may even be able to loop it, tho I wasn't aiming for that.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • 24 minutes ago, deck said:

No worries.

The speed of the flip will be dependent on how fast the plain effector travels thru the clones which is obviously keyframed in the timeline, but also the length and parameters of the falloff.

With a bit of fiddling and careful timing, you may even be able to loop it, tho I wasn't aiming for that.

Deck

From my experience, it's pretty difficult looping these due to the spring action. You tend to have to replicate this a few times and render the entire sequence, to then pick out our frames from the middle.

I think I have this looping tho I haven't rendered it and checked in a player. Easiest way to speed and slow it is to just drag out the right hand keyframe to where you want it, then set your render for 1 less frame than that. Ive used the same plain effector evenly spaced along the spline, then moved the spline thru the clones. I've set the spline to be multiple of 10 to make the math easy for animating it to exact effector positions at start and finish. Ive used 9 effectors I think but no doubt could be other multiples depending on falloff amongst other things.

Deck

Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 16.30.26.png

Clones thru 90-loop01.c4d

If you delete every other effector and increase the falloff size, that gives quite a nice effect too. make sure to keep all the effector falloffs the same size to keep the looping property.

Deck