Sign in to follow this  
Pierre Tessier

Need a way to neatly arrange my cables !!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=64dc4b4c9c7ad99bimageproxy.php?img=&key=64dc4b4c9c7ad99bI'm modelling an electrical wire terminal with wires connected to it. My goal is to get a nicely organized and squeezed together wire bunch, so I can put tie-wraps in a few places.  I'm using the cloner and here's what I got. Not bad, But it's still not perfect and some of the cables are interacting, one wire going through another one. Each cable is made of a sweep nurb. I'm trying to adjust the spline of each cable but it's a tedious work. Any technique that might simplify my work? Also, how do you smooth out the wires (sweep nurbs) ? I'm putting each wire in a subdivision nurb but there must be some kind of adjustment that can be done. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.18.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.18.30 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.18.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.16.30 AM.png

You could spend some time setting up softbody spline dynamics, and avoid collision that way, but tbh by the time you have spent all the time setting that up so it only applies to part of your cable (the non fixed bits) and tweaking until it looks good you might has well have just gone in there and manually moved some points about. It may seem a longer way round, but it's less hassle in the end, and there really aren't that many cables. If your splines are optimised properly there won't be many points on them either, so it should be even quicker !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR. I think manual point positioning is my best and quickest options, as you said. In addition, I will not zoom in to the particular area, as this is part of a bigger electrical panel, as you can see. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 11.17.38 AM.png

• Topic Author
  • Forgot, how do you smooth out sweep nurbs ? (my wires)

4 wire example

- use sweep object with rectangle spline, convert to polygons, select all edges from start to end, convert them to splines and these use for wires. This way you get even distance between wires ( when you imagine rectangle corners are "midpoints" of wires)

Btw - this is quite a useful technique to have up your sleeve, even if it doesn't necessarily apply here...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Very interesting. Thanks !