Sign in to follow this  
Airwreck

Help with poly modelling

I'm super new to 3D modeling and C4D. I'm trying to have the back end of the spray bottle curve but while keeping the wide bottom but as you can see the horizontal loop cut keeps sticking out. I can remove that one horizontal segment of the loop cut to achieve my curve but then it throws off the shape and gets super ugly when I subdivide it. I tried to add more loop cuts to straighten it out but it won't let me add the loop cut bc I'm assuming it needs 4 sides to complete it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gen Bottle Bezel.png

Edited by Cerbera
Re-titled for Accuracy

• Topic Author
  • Here is the reference IMG I'm trying to model. Having trouble keeping the wider bottom of the sprayer and also have the curved portion of the back of the sprayer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Cerbera
    Removed broken links

Yeah, what you are doing now isn't going to work. The edge flow needs to follow the corner curve all the way across the model or meet it a better way.

Your ref images are both broken, so pls upload (only jpgs) that show the item you are trying to model.

Or is it something like this model I knocked up last year or so ? because if it is, this topology is the kind of thing you need.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for your reply, your time and knowledge is GREATLY appreciated. So in what order would you proceed? I started with the cube and got it thin and long enough to match the width/length of my ref image. I then first tried to add the bezel to the back of the sprayer but realized I couldn't expand the bottom so I then widened the bottom first then tried the bezel. None of these approaches seemed to work for me, i'm sure i'm missing something simple?

Your models look nice and clean, I hope to get there soon! This stuff is fun but SUPER tedious.

Genesis Ref1.jpg

Genesis Ref2.jpg

No, modelling is simple at one level, but mastering it can take an entire lifetime, and even to get basically good at it takes upwards of a year - it is a very complex subject at its more advanced levels.

I am busy with client work most of today, but can quickly show the starting points for this... bear with me for 10 mins while I sort that out...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • No worries at all, I'm just happy someone actually replied! haha 

Take your time.

Start in right view, with a disc like this, 16 sides, an arbitrary inner radius set, then make editable.

image.thumb.png.3d8ae081bd9f1b2464d98e05f673a95f.png

Delete all the polys except these 4...

image.thumb.png.d7eb028f0ca7ecabe5e574f8271cf339.png

Now we need to ctrl drag some edges out,  like this...

image.thumb.png.8c3b03904da18996cf9d61eb340a5fbe.png

...and now we need to fill in the gaps with topology specifically like mine below...

image.thumb.png.8a14fcd0bc820536d5997c2027ffd6bd.png

...and that's how we get round the corner whilst maintaining quad polygons, which is what we need here for use with the subdivision surface object we are going to add later in order to add smoothness to this model. And here we come upon the first lesson of Route 101 modelling - work with as few polys as you can, and let subdivision do your hard work for you !

Also note that the specific way I topologised this supports the bends and curves we need to add later in the process.

If you struggle to do that, you need to go on YouTube, type 'c4d poly modelling tutorial' and watch a few basic modelling tutorials so you know how to use tools like bevel, slide, extrude, symmetry and the knife tools etc, which you would use to make this.

I will have some time later to come back and show you the rest, but hopefully that sends you starting out in the right direction, or failing that any one of the more-than decent modellers here can continue as and when they read your post...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • BRILLIANT! I would have never thought about starting with a disc! Thanks, I'm working through it now and hopefully by the time you're back on I have some progress made. I can't thank you enough.

Next, I added some additional loops via Edge Cut command to give us regular even polygons, which is what SDS wants to work best, and added some border control loops, which tell Cinema what to do with the corner sharpness when subdivided...

Here is what that looks like, before and after it is made a child of a Subdivision Surface Object... and that is how we work with relatively few polys, and still get a lovely smooth curved result.

1466087014_SDSnozzlebase.thumb.gif.951daa337bd3808018369e59c5a5e974.gif

Note what is most important about this mesh, which is that the highlighted edge is dead straight, for it is that edge we need to rotate out from in the next steps...

CBR

But first, now is the time to get some symmetry happening, which will half our modelling work from now on and provide a perfectly symmetrical final mesh.

Poly mode, select all polys (ctrl-A whilst mouse over viewport) and move them out from World Centre a small amount. Then, back in Object Mode, hold Alt, and add a Symmetry Object to the scene which will parent it to your mesh, and provided the symmetry axis is set correctly in the tool options, should make a mirror image of that mesh appear beside it, like so...

image.thumb.png.78ccc974346892c84a1c4d689ebdc16c.png

Now go back to poly mode, select all polys and move the mesh until you have set the width of the object to look roughly right like above...

Next we need to rotate out all the polys under that selected edge. In edge mode, with that edge highlighted find Fill selection, and click once under the line to select all the polys there. Now we need to move the modelling axis to the line so we can rotate from it, which we can do from the Rotate Tool Options.

image.png.c23bb740eb010a7723a219b8f688fca4.png

Now the axis is in the right place we can rotate that poly selection out to create the flared sections, like so...

76904791_SDSnozzlerotate.thumb.gif.414c8a2dec242c054df2e50f08960a15.gif

Next we can bridge to the centreline to make the rest of the shell for that part...

CBR