Sign in to follow this  
Airwreck

Help with poly modelling

Let's make sure our Symmetry is set properly with these options ticked...

image.png.cb93fa43225fbffecd192ceaea4c67ba.png

Then we can use path select in edge mode to select these edges, then hold Ctrl, and drag them towards the centreline a bit. Then we can use the coordinates Manager to enter an X-scale of 0, which will straighten the edges on that axis, after which we can move them to the centreline, where they will snap into position, and we have the outer surface of a solid shell where we need it...

1833287817_SDSnozzleSymmetrybridge.thumb.gif.fa2b2fdfc3c8bd36a0b51ed41f8ed201.gif

Now you can move all the side polys out to perfect the width of the object, and move on to adding thickness to which parts need it - however I need to see the front of the object to know what needs to be there first, so for now, I can only advise selecting the Symmetry, holding Alt and dropping that under an SDS object, which will give us this lovely smooth result.

image.thumb.png.428be755072ed58df648b1bc13f9c69f.png

You will see I have used loop cut (edge distance mode) to add one further control loop, which tightens up the creases a bit ore under SDS...

If you need the flare bit sharper you would simply select the edge loop along the fold line and bevel it a small amount (solid mode, 1 segment) and that would become very sharp too, the bevel amount defining how much so...

image.thumb.png.bd8bcda2ed9980198ef50c061f84cb18.png

image.thumb.png.0447a1ec0b6e7147db2724b1e3dcfe07.png

Hope that helps...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Here is what I was able to achieve with the guidance you provided yesterday in regards to starting with the disc. I didn't use the symmetry tool though, I simply extruded with caps.  I do have to clean up some areas, especially near the bottom of the sprayer where it meets the sprayer base. I can see that it isn't as smooth as it should be and perhaps due to some of my line segment placement.

I just saw the rest of your steps now and will re-attempt it to see if I can get it to be much smoother and cleaner. 

Is there such a thing as order of operation that you would normally follow? In other words, don't add a subdivision surface or bevel until the majority of the shape is complete? or does that not matter? I'm just trying to wrap my head around my approach. I'm sure it changes from project to project, but I was wondering if there is a "standard" workflow that may help when modeling?

I can't stress this enough, you're time is greatly appreciated.

lines1.jpg

Material.jpg

subdivide.jpg

You need to keep your quads even on the low poly surface. Your current low poly mesh contains too many large quads, which may cause problems when subdividing. 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the tip Adrien, I was able to get a much smoother surface once I followed the rest of Cerbera's and your advice.

Here is what I have so far. I'm about to start on the trigger and I'm thinking starting with the disc is how I should approach this shape as well.

I will keep posting until I have finalized this project (my first!).

As usual, thanks to the both of you for your time.

Sprayer Front Ref.jpg

Sprayer Model Back.jpg

Sprayer Model Trigger.jpg

Sprayer Ref.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Another quick update on my progress. I've "completed" the model, for now at least as there are some areas I still would like to perfect, and am attempting to render it out. I've setup  3 PBR lights in a typical studio lighting setup along with an additional Overhead light.

1944573951_1stRender.thumb.jpg.439af2a7a1534a62cf70aa05e0d2ede0.jpg

Are there some standard render settings you use for a product photography type of setup?

I'm currently using the Physical Renderer along with Ambient Occlusion and Global Illumination (Primary QMC, Secondary Irradiance Cache, Diffuse Depth 6 and Gamma 1.3).

I've been watching YT videos on "best/recommended" render settings and have pieced together the attached settings from the videos and the first render is up to 50 min and not close to half way done.

AO.thumb.jpg.f4098e53682a36a70ae6ee93a45661b5.jpg

GI.thumb.jpg.b8f98fc309cbec694bbd2a13c3b2ace7.jpg

Anything that stands out to you or perhaps you recommend that may speed it up while maintaining as much high res as possible?