Sign in to follow this  
jinxy

Hair strand

Posted (edited)

Hey,

I am trying to model a single wavy strand of hair laid on a flat surface. I tried doing it with a spline but I don't have much knowledge and experience with it, so I couldn't really come up with what I wanted. In the end, I added hair to a small plane outside of the shot and brushed the guides back into it. I'm struggling with the hair material though. The hairs just go everywhere instead of clumping together into a strand, even though I've brushed the guides together into the shape. I'd greatly appreciate your advice on fixing this!

Screenshot_(169).png

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section

Pls upload scene file. We need to see ALL your hair settings.

CBR

Also please add a reference image of what your aiming for.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thank you for your prompt replies and apologies for not including that information in my original post!

Another thing I just noticed is that although I updated the length of my guides, the actual hair renders much shorter.

I've also added a reference - I suppose I want something similar to this but the curls to be looser, so as to look more natural (I guess, with more frizz?)

66026983-a-strand-of-long-frizzy-brown-hair-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg

Hair.c4d

Well, good job @Rectro is on the case for you; not a lot that man doesn't know about hair, so I shall leave you in his capable hands 🙂

CBR

Is this something what your after?  Whats the context of the hair being on a plane?

hair on plane.jpg

• Topic Author

Yes, that's exactly what I'm after, except that I was trying to make the strand longer, so that it's starting point (the wider bit) isn't part of the image. I'm working on a fine art project for uni and I'm using still images only. I was thinking of placing it on a plate but I guess I could just brush the guides so as to lay them correctly on top of it?!

Ok I can help you with this in more detail.  In this case I started with selecting a row of polygons (wider than you need them)  But you can select a much narrower area which will help in what  your after.  I will record you a short video as there are a few things that would take a while to type and that's controlling the clumps (see how you get on with the following first).  The scale of the object your making hair on maks a whole lot of difference for a easier time stick to real world scale.

I made hair from the polygon selection and used the move tool to pull out its length closer to the plane.  I made sure on the plane is the hair collider tag.  I make sure I can see hair in the view port in the editor tab from the hair object using hairlines.  The hair and guide segments needs to be enough for smooth hair, the longer the more segments needed.

I then ue the relax button in the dynamics to drape the hair to the plane.  You can increase the radius (sur rad) in the dynamics properties if the hair goes through the mesh.

With the move brush I move the hair into position also using the smooth mode to smooth it out.

The rest comes down to the hair material.  The order deal with the hair material is as follows.

1: Thickness.  I set it anywhere from 0.05 to 0.5 

2: Specular is way too high so I bring this right down to about 10%,  this helps with preview.  

3: I change colour making roots darker and atta  colour to tint to offer variation.

4:  Clump (cover this in video)

5: Frizz.  I reverse the curve often giving more frizz to roots rather than tips, this helps with intersections.

Dan

hair material set up.jpg

hair strip.jpg

• Topic Author

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! And the video on clumping has been extremely helpful!

I made the adjustments you mention but I still end up with several thinner clumps. Should I increase the number of roots? Also, for some reason when I relax the hair, it goes through the plate, even though it has the hair collider tag on.

I'm also failing to understand how to make the hair object visible in the viewport, so as to see the actual hairs. Also, what do you mean by using smooth mode? 

Update: Sorry about that, the screenshots just popped up after reloading the page. I'll try again!

I've reuploaded the file here, as it's too big: https://www.mediafire.com/file/7qsahshdyhm30ls/Hair.c4d/file

When I try to relax the hair, it just bounces a bit but it doesn't really fall down. And for some reason, the roots are spread out over the entire plane, instead of just along one edge only.

36 minutes ago, jinxy said:

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! And the video on clumping has been extremely helpful!

I made the adjustments you mention but I still end up with several thinner clumps. Should I increase the number of roots? Also, for some reason when I relax the hair, it goes through the plate, even though it has the hair collider tag on.

I'm also failing to understand how to make the hair object visible in the viewport, so as to see the actual hairs. Also, what do you mean by using smooth mode? 

Update: Sorry about that, the screenshots just popped up after reloading the page. I'll try again!

Hair.c4dUnavailable

No worries.  Hair in CG is one of the hardest things to do aside from rigging, animation.  The nature of a hair system is that there are so many adjustment to make that without understanding each one and its effect just one adjustment can knock out the rest.  There is a underline Order of operation going on, each setting gets compiled and added to the next which produces the final result.  The clumping with C4D hair is one area that to me is confusing, and makes little sense.  The way I use it is the only way I could gt some control over it to get some predictable results.  I use Ornatrix plugin these days as it offers that control C4D own hair system is lacking, but C4D own system is very good still.  You can use the spine method also but you do need to know who to get hair to show.  In the mean time to see hairs in the view port select the Hair object from the object mananger and go into the Edtior Tab.  Within there under preview/display you can choose Hair lines.

I will make a short video for you but cant till Im back as have to pop out for a hour or so.

Dan

hair in viewport C4D.jpg