Sign in to follow this  
goshinga

Why does chamfer do this to my edges?

Posted (edited)

Both cylinders were made out of a single boole. When I try to chamfer the edges at the same time one seems inverted and bevels into itself. Anyone have any clue why?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section

Normals might be wrong ? Booles are generally a terrible way of modelling ? Could be lots of things...

We'd need your scene file to know for sure.

CBR

test.c4d

Here you go. Kindly let me know if you can find the reason why. Thank you for your help!

Yep - it's the second reason I suggested. When you use a boole for something like this you remove any control you might have had over the topology and create ngons. Because ngons are not legal topology in modelling you can't expect the software to act predictably as soon as they are involved. Consequently, if you remove the ngons from that mesh, then the bevel then works as expected, as it can and should because the mesh follows modelling protocol again.

CBR

Thanks - that makes sense. Is there a reason it worked for the one on the left but not the right as they are made from the same technique? In this test file I can bevel the edge even though the N gons are present. 

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something obvious wrong. In the tutorial that I'm following along with he was able to bevel along the edges even though there were ngons present. If you're interested you can view his file here  (05_06 Boolean Strategies) where it works - if not that's okay you've already helped a lot!

05_06_BooleanStrategies.c4d

test2.c4d

4 minutes ago, goshinga said:

Is there a reason it worked for the one on the left but not the right as they are made from the same technique? In this test file I can bevel the edge even though the N gons are present. 

As far as the software was concerned, the decision as to which way to bevel was arbitrary from an equal 50% choice of 2 options. The software simply guessed wrong for the hole on the right on this occasion. If you repeated the whole procedure from scratch with new objects it might make a different decision next time... the ngons don't stop the bevel working, but they do remove some predictability from the equation, if that makes sense...

CBR

I see! That's really interesting. Thanks so much!

I note that in S22 this behaviour has been improved, so in that it bevels the right way on both.

CBR