Sign in to follow this  
Voidium

C4D simulation module needs some love.

The holographic stuff - near the end - is really quite mind blowing...

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

I'm pretty sure the guys at MAXON already know about most of the technical papers presented at SIGGRAPH for the past decade and all the different techniques they could use to make a nice "multi-physics" solver for Cinema 4D.

Lots of cool techniques (some geared toward more accurate/realistic behaviors where others are optimized for speed):

- SPH (Smoothed-Particle Hydrodynamics) - (Houdini, Realflow, X-Particles)

- FLIP (Fluid Implicit Particle) - (Houdini, Realflow, X-Particles, Mantaflow, Flip Fluids)

- PBD (Position Based Dynamics) - (Realflow)

- FEM (Finite Element Method) - (Houdini)

- PIC (Particles In Cell)

- MPM (Material Point Method) - (Maya "Bifröst")

- CD-MPM ( Continunm Damage - Material Point Method) - (SIGGRAPH 2019)

- ADMM-MPM (Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers - Material Point Method) - (SIGGRAPH 2019)

- HOT-MPM (Hierarchical Optimization Time - Material Point Method) - (SIGGRAPH 2020)

The list is too long to post here, so i will just put a few wild SIGGRAPH videos here ranging from (water/cloth interaction, water/hair interaction, cutting a piece of meat, baking some bread and cookies, shredding a piece of bread, lots of rubbery/elastic silliness and more...)

There is so much new techniques and methods to have cool Simulation harnessing the power of Multi-threaded CPUs, Multi GPUs, AI, etc... just waiting for ppl to implement them 🙂

A recent one.

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting these. I'd seen some of them before, but certainly not all.
    I do agree with the general premise of this thread - it's an incredibly weak area for C4D. The first proiority for me would be to get the basic solvers - rigid body / soft body / cloth etc - all working well, controllably (no 'explosions' please) and fully integrated with each oher.

A few years ago I was working on a job that really needed some very controlled ripping and soft body dynamics. After about two weeks of effort trying with both soft bodies and cloth we gave up and dropped the shot.

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

There are quite a LOT of these technical papers on "SIGGRAPH" and "SIGGRAPH Asia" from around 2008 to 2020 talking about all kind of techniques (some of them already got implemented). I only highlighted a few recent ones.

There is a huge body of work in dynamics.  Some of it is extremely relevant to the future of dynamic simulations (like the CD-MPM method in the first video) while others are interesting but have a more narrow range of applications (like the thermo-mechanical MPM solution for baking and cooking).  There are even some that I am struggling to see why it is relevant:  in particular the SPH method for snow simulation.  Honestly, the MPM methods developed back in 2013 produce more realistic results and the video makes no effort to explain why SPH is a better method (faster to compute?  Less memory?...no idea).

Nevertheless, do NOT expect to see any of this in C4D any time soon.   I would imagine that their first offering will be in liquids as there are already elements of the program that can handle fluids (dynamic fields and the mesh solver).  What may be a limitation is C4D's ability to handle millions of particles in the view port.   Should they want to move into gaseous liquids, then they need to improve their native rendering capabilities.

Where you will most likely see some of these latest developments will be from Insydium.  Honestly, X-Particles already has  cloth, liquids, fire, volume breaking, hard body dynamics, soft body dynamics and the ability for one simulation to drive another (or n-systems).  That is huge.  Their architecture (it all starts with points and particles) enables all these systems to influence each other.  Fine tuning everything with material point methods (MPM) would (in my humble and completely non-expert opinion) fit right into the trajectory of their development timeline.  

I would also imagine that the developers at Insydium have probably already absorbed each and every technical paper they can get their hands on.  They are so far down the road on this, I would imagine it is a bit of discouragement to MAXON to develop anything on their own ("why bother....XP is moving at light speed").   Smarter to work a licensing deal with Insydium to get better dynamics into C4D when you are this far behind.   This would be similar to what MAXON did with Ministry of Flats on UV mapping.   Of course, that creates all sorts of problems for existing XP owners like myself (similar to when MAXON made Studio available for everyone), but it could happen.

Dave