Sign in to follow this  
slackermorris

possible approaches to modelling a sea mine

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone would have any advice in how to best approach modelling a sea mine object. I have tried various methods, but I always get to the same point: I can't get the pegs (the spikes) to deform to the mine body the way I want. Does anyone have any advice in how to best implement this object? Thanks for all your help.

Sorry I am new to cinema4D and even newer still to this forum so am unsure what other information I should include.. 

NB: the picture below is of another artists sea mine render. I am using it for reference.

sea mine.jpg

Not surprised you are struggling - this looks like quite a simple modelling proposition, but actually isn't.  In fact to model this as a single mesh would require a relatively wide range and knowledge of assorted modelling techniques, but as the spikes are separate objects in the real world, that is how we should model them as well, which certainly makes things easier.

So, with that said there are 2 main parts to this - modelling the hatch in the main shell, which you should do based on one of the polar sections of a standard sphere. And the spikes, which you can clone on to the surface of a helper sphere object if you can find one with the right distribution of points, and then adjust the Z position of those to better match your mine.

As for how to achieve the curvature on the bases, that is best done right at the start of their creation (which should begin with a disc object) using subdivision and deformers, either double bend objects at 90 degree offsets from each other, or maybe an FFD or even something like the wrap deformer with suitable settings... or you could even project your disc onto the sphere.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

@Cerbera thank you a tonne for your prompt advice! It has helped me an absolute tonne! And, you are certainly right about it being deceptive in how simple looking it appears. I thought it was going to be a walk in the park, but through unpacking the advice you gave me it will certainly be a longer project. But--hey--challenges are good. Thanks a million.

One of the tasks that is deceptively harder than it looks is determining the pattern of the spikes on the sphere itself.  If you notice, they form a repeating pentagram (5 sides) around the surface.  You can't use a normal sphere's polygons to guide you because all sphere primitives follow either a 4 or 6 sided polygonal pattern.  

One thing to consider is to use a platonic dodecahedron placed within the sphere (turn X-ray on) as a guide on where to place your spikes.  

Just a thought.

Dave

image.thumb.png.15b5f6c208a911e72f2ad9efeaf8f122.png

I would follow Cerbera's suggestion of not modeling it as a single object but model each part as would be separate in a real mine. Here is a Houdini model of this (since I don't have C4D now) but the process would be virtually identical.

The most important thing is to start with the right type of sphere. I would use a 9 row by 10 column sphere in Houdini.  That will make it easier to create a point selection that has three rows of five spikes each.

Make a couple of edge loop cuts near the poles and use the polar polygons to do the extrudes for the switch part.

Start with a cylinder for the triggers and do some inner and regular extrudes and bevels. 

To make the screws, the easiest way is just to scale a sphere and clone it in a circle (or use an array in C4d). 

Clone the triggers and screws to the selected points where you want the spikes to go. I'm not sure the command for align to Normals in C4D (short of using Mograph). In Blender, it would be done with particles/hair. In Modo one would use the setup tab to set drop action to place and align.

Add some detail to the poles, again with regular and inner extrudes and again add screws as above. Add a cube for the switch.

Here is a render and wireframe of the result, but most is just cloning parts to the selected points on a sphere and then adding some subdivision. Good luck. I can't remember how well the normal directions work in C4D, but if you are having trouble with that, you can do what Dave suggested to get them facing in the right tangent. (In Houdini, I used a ray node to fix this instead of a  dodecahedron).

Typical of most SDS modeling, almost everything is done by inner and outer extrudes and edge loops. A bevel or two is stuck in for good measure.

MineWireframe.jpg

mine.jpg

I didn't add the base and chain to the wireframe, but this is how most people do it: First add a torus. Then cut it in half and move it a bit. Then mirror the torus and then bridge between them. Make cloned copies translated slightly and rotated 90 degrees. Finally, subdivide.

if you are interested, message me and I can send individual parts without nurb (subdivision) and you would be easily able to figure out how to parent and clone them to create the finished model.

ChainCreation.jpg