Why do my dominoes keep moving after falling?

Hello! I'm learning about dynamics so I followed a few tutorials on making dominoes fall on to each other. I've fiddled with a lot of settings but can't seem to get my dominoes to rest once they've fallen - they keep slowly sliding out. I've attached the file to show what I mean. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to prevent this? Many thanks!

domino rally2.c4d

Heres a version where I have animated the damping to 100% after the last domino falls. for a complete stop you could also animate the dynamics timescale to zero in the project prefs. in a bit of a rush at the mo so no time for a greater explanation.

Deck

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 13.44.49.png

domino rally3.c4d

10 times bigger !

Bit of an update on your file re dynamics and object size, as I understand it the C4D doesn't work as well with very small objects so much as it does with items at around the scale that the default primitives drop in ( not very scientific but it seems to work ). In your original file the dominoes were less than 3 CM I believe. This is probably why you got a bit extreme with the settings trying to sort it out, ie your fruition was at 300% on one object.

If you scale your file up by a factor of ten it starts to get in the realms of the proper size, if you delete and replace all the tags it almost works straight off and comes to rest in a much more "real" fashion and when changing the parameters things start to act more as you would expect .

Technically speaking I believe the linear and angular velocity settings in the dynamics tab of the tag is what stops things moving after dynamics tho I don't find that very intuitive ( maybe someone will explain / demo for us ) hence I use the linear and angular damping which resides in the Force tab of the tag. Animating this up at the end of the sequence as mentioned in previous post.

On top of the tag settings you also have the dynamics tab in your project preferences where you can find timescale, gravity, steps per frame etc. All of these can affect your dynamic sim. like everything else in cinema if you control click on something it brings up a menu, at the bottom of which is the "show help" option which will pop up the help section for that item.

So the file below is 10x bigger with a few tweaks to the settings, they almost come to a complete rest and there is currently no damping at all animated in, so for me this file is behaving much more as it should. I have rather high friction on floor at 70% to stop them running across the table and bashing into others but nothing higher than a 100, just 25% on dominoes I think.

Hopefully some other more knowledgeable members will correct me if I have made any glaring errors but these are my few pointers for beginning dynamics.

Deck

domino rally3*10xbigger.c4d

• Community Staff

There are scale settings in the Project Tab for exactly this issue; C4D doesn't generally have an issue with small objects when it comes to simulation.

Cinema_4D_skl4UkfYey.png

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

The original file in post #1 already had the scale set to small -

original_post.PNG.b0ffa738873dca539860d69e70f1ac81.PNG

I think the idea is to set scale to the approx size of objects in the scene - default 100cm is the default size of primitives.

re @deck 's idea of large dominoes, the way things fall in C4D (as in real life) is determined by their size. If the doms were 1km long, they would appear to topple in slow motion (reductio ad absurdum 😀 )

Also, for smaller objects, wouldn't increasing the sub-steps help (go to project settings-->dynamics-->Expert--->Steps per frame) ?

Just a thought.

Dave

I never miss an opportunity to add some unnecessary XPresso and Python. Here I iterate the doms and increase damping to 100% about 10-15 objects after the 'ripple'.

doms2.c4d

I seem to remember Nitro4D had a magic domino plugin and a method using his SoundFx to make clicks as the objects collide.

• Community Staff
3 hours ago, jed said:

The original file in post #1 already had the scale set to small -

original_post.PNG.b0ffa738873dca539860d69e70f1ac81.PNG

I think the idea is to set scale to the approx size of objects in the scene - default 100cm is the default size of primitives.

re @deck 's idea of large dominoes, the way things fall in C4D (as in real life) is determined by their size. If the doms were 1km long, they would appear to topple in slow motion (reductio ad absurdum 😀 )

Yup, that's what I meant! That's exactly what the documentation says.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram