Sign in to follow this  
munkittrick

Using mograph and xpresso to control animation...

Hi guys! First, THANK YOU so very much for helping get this far. I'm learning something new every day!

Ok, I'm trying to do a lip sync for a character, but I'd like to set it up for simplicity. I've created pose morphs for all of the phonic sounds and started to use another method, BUT...I'm now trying to use some manner of driver so that the pose morph intensity is activated by a certain sound range. In other words, I'll take my original voiceover, edit it to my liking in my audio software and create "blip tones" within a certain range to control the pose morph that was made for each phonetic sound. IE, the sound "O" would be activated when the sync track emanates a 1,000Hz tone...and the sound "F" would be activated when the sync track emanates  2,000Hz tone and so on...

Any suggestions of the best means to link these controllers with making my head explode?

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Without mayor testing I could emagine this to work. It feels a bit complicated so there may be a simpler solution.

ok... so this is a untested setup, but you could try this.

make a Matrix objekt (linear) with the amount of elements that you need diferent phonetic sounds.

arange them for example x0 y0 z50.

Use the clone selection tool to generate one selection tag for each element.

generate one sound effector with y100 for each element and use one selection for each effector.

define the fequencies in in the effectors. Now every element should rise 100 units when its sound is played.

to read out this information. use a xpresso node drag in the matrix and connect its object exit to a Data node. Whith it you should be able to extract the z Vallue of each matrix element.

best regards

Jops

I'll give it a go and get back to you ASAP. Thank you!

Okay, I got my way to work. Here's how I did it.

1.) I load my audio file into Sound Forge.
2.) I create a cloned track and save it as "FreqRangeController"

3.) I create simple tones at 1kHz, 2kHz, 3kHz, 4kHz, 5kHz, 6kHz, 7kHz, 8kHz, 9kHz, 10kHz, 11kHz and 12kHz

4.) I associate a phonetic sound (A, E, I, O, U, etc) and save those simple tones with the sound range that they are assigned

5.) I playback the audio file that I wish to animate my pose morph to and create markers at every peak in the sound file

6.) I lay an edit track over the original file, copy the simple tones that created earlier and paste them in the overlay edit track for each reference sound as the referenced pose morph
7.) I build my pose morph poses within C4D and save each one titled by the phonic sound required
8.) I create a sound effector for each pose morph titling each with the phonetic sounds
9.) I created an xpresso file that links the strength of each sound effector and use the area selection to pinpoint the center of the frequency track.
10.) I render out an entirely effective animation that is timed perfectly

I'm sure it's not the easiest way, but it allows me to add an infinite number of pose morphs and I can modify the other non-speaking pose morphs with keyframes!

Thanks for the ideas and I hope that this helps someone else down the line!