Sign in to follow this  
unbelievable

PLA with rigged character

I have a rigged character, which is one mesh including eyelids rotated into its head. Using controllers I have tilted the head and recorded a keyframe. Is it possible to select only the eyelid polygons and record them rotating (blinking) without having the eyelids as a separate object independently connected to the rig? Someone wants to call on the character object using javascript with a strict naming convention, so I can't really have the eyelids as a separate object.

47 minutes ago, unbelievable said:

Is it possible to select only the eyelid polygons and record them rotating (blinking) without having the eyelids as a separate object independently connected to the rig?

If your working on the basis of deforming polygons then pose morph would be the way to go, but as its over a eyeball your use a Rotational mixing method for a morph target.  You can then assign user data to them if you wish.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I used a Pose Morph tag in the end and it works perfectly. However, I had to cut the eyelids from the body into a new polygon object in order to do it. Do you know of any way I can do it with them being part of the same object?

31 minutes ago, unbelievable said:

Thanks Dan, I used a Pose Morph tag in the end and it works perfectly. However, I had to cut the eyelids from the body into a new polygon object in order to do it. Do you know of any way I can do it with them being part of the same object?

Lovely. Thanks so much!

TLDR: I think the solution is to add a joint to an existing advanced biped rig so I can bind to it and rotate eyelids that way – I have searched for a long time and can't find how to do this. 

OK, so after another day and a half of wrangling, I can get the eyelids to blink well in a few different ways but none that are going to export in a usable way.

My constraints in getting this model to blink as part of a rig, due to elements of the model being called by javascript, are:

It has to be exported as gltf which has limits https://labs.MAXON.net/?p=3360

I am only allowed polygon objects named as follows: Body, Hair, Eyes

My initial attempts included selecting polys of the body and doing PLA which worked fine until export.

I've tried Pose Morph animations with only 'Points' checked as an option, both with and without a target to morph to – both look great until export – this is supposed to work according to the article above.

I've just tried a combined eyelid / eye object (which isn't in the rig, but is psr constrained to it so I can rotate the whole eye quickly). That didn't work.

Any help gratefully recieved, I'm sure this is probably child's play for some of you but as I'm new to rigging, it seems such a steep learning curve. I am learning a lot along the way though – thanks!

Here's my latest attempt, if someone would be kind enough to take a look, and the gltf it exports.

It's not weighted yet as I keep trying different things with the rig and got sick of weighting it every time.

Archive.zip