Sign in to follow this  
tuuluuwag

Darker Reflection?

Seems like an odd question, and maybe a fairly easy answer.

I have a scene, with a truck reflecting onto the floor. The reflection of the white parts of the truck are visible. The problem I have is that I am supposed to make the tires visible in the reflection as well. They currently don't show up almost at all (which makes sense - but it's been requested)

Any chance I am missing a simple solution? I have tried about 50 tests with no resolve. 

Thanks!

No TIres.jpg

That does indeed make sense, so we'd need to cheat physics to make it so. Cinema of course is aiming for realism all the time, so you might have to run round the houses a bit trying to sort this out there, without also affecting the truck refs. Simplest way might be in post where you just render another version of the scene but with much lighter material on the tyres so they do show up, and then mask between that and your original image in AFX or photoshop etc...

CBR

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Simplest way might be in post where you just render another version of the scene but with much lighter material on the tyres so they do show up, and then mask between that and your original image in AFX or photoshop etc...

CBR

Interesting. I had honestly thought of that as an idea, but hoped there was a method within C4D that would take that double render out of the equation. I knew that it was more than likely the fact that C4D was trying to keep it real. Which was why I was struggling to find an answer. I may have to go the route you've suggested and do a double render!   -  Thank you!

Can't you render a reflection pass? I've switched to Houdini, but multiple passes is essential for manipulating in post, as you can have different curves or gain in each.

The way to get close Without post processing is to balance out area lights with an environmental light. That will help the tire issue.

10 minutes ago, Isleofgough said:

Can't you render a reflection pass? I've switched to Houdini, but multiple passes is essential for manipulating in post, as you can have different curves or gain in each.

I'm using the standard renderer. I have yet to venture into the world of 3rd party renderers myself. 

I suppose it's possible in the standard render too. Never tried it as of yet

I don't have C4D to check, but when I had it, I only used standard render engine for NPR   (Sketch and Toon). Have you tried physical render?

27 minutes ago, Isleofgough said:

I don't have C4D to check, but when I had it, I only used standard render engine for NPR   (Sketch and Toon). Have you tried physical render?

I have not used the Physical Renderer on this project. I honestly thought it would be down to the materials reflection channel. I tried bumping the reflection way up and adding a gradient layer to the reflection to have it fade out, but that didn't help with the black. it's a riddle.

Since standard rendering engine does not follow real physical properties, it can be hard to tweak. I think that was one of the reasons people migrated to engines like VRay before physical rendering was developed. Even non physical materials can be an issue. I hear Arnold is good. Good luck.

16 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

Since standard rendering engine does not follow real physical properties, it can be hard to tweak. I think that was one of the reasons people migrated to engines like VRay before physical rendering was developed. Even non physical materials can be an issue. Good luck.

I may end up investing in a render engine. Although, I have never truly understood the reason why the program itself hasn't spent the time to develop a render that works as good as those of 3rd party. I understand they deal with the program as a whole, but with so many people investing in 3rd parties, it seems like its a program downfall to not invest time into the render portion of the program itself.  - I suppose that is why they partnered with Redshift!