Sign in to follow this  
ShawnC

Not enough memory error

So i have a detailed scene of a vehicle with 446263 polygons, 90 objects, and ca.475733 Kb of memory, My workstation has a Ryzen 3900x, 1660 Ti, 16gb of ram ddr4. When i render my scene with physical render and GI, during preperation my pc slows down significantly, my memory usage rises to 99 percent after a minute, and then around 3 to 2 minutes, the preperation stops with an error: not enough memory..., now ive searched on the internet but everyone else either had too many clones that arent instanced, or they have 6-8 gb of ram. Smaller scenes from other projects renders just fine. To see whats wrong, Ive tried to render it with the standard render settings, but to no avail, it prepares for a while then stops with the render pitch black (expected) but no warning, only that the single chrome tab i had forgotten to close said : oh snap, static stackoverflow. that cant be good but i dont know what went wrong, please help me.  

Here is my c4d file : https://easyupload.io/p82g0o

some textures would be missing cuz i cant seem to upload it to easyupload...... 

Thanks in advance, im grateful

I'm not sure what help is available to you ! You simply need more memory to render that scene ! 16 GB is not really enough these days. I'd say 32 is the practical minimum for larger projects, with sometimes 64 or even 128 being needed, especially when using a lot 8K megascans etc...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted
    1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I'm not sure what help is available to you ! You simply need more memory to render that scene ! 16 GB is not really enough these days. I'd say 32 is the practical minimum for larger projects, with sometimes 64 or even 128 being needed, especially when using a lot 8K megascans etc...

CBR

Ouch, okay......welp thats a bummer, i guess ill have to go shopping now, eeesh, 79 euros for 16 gigs, thanks anyway!

Make sure it's fast memory as well - the performance of your Ryzen (you have same processor as me) is very much linked to how fast that is. Id say you wanted PC3200 minimum.

CBR

Just for kicks and giggles, I downloaded the file and tried to render it on my wimpy and very cheap every day computer (not the machine I use for serious work in C4D).  That every day PC only has 8 Gb of memory.

As expected...it ran out of memory.

I then made one change:  I turned off displacement on the 3 textures that use it.

image.thumb.png.cf42b6a93a35a1fae7a0b95ccc952999.png

I just rendered it to the viewport and then took a snip (around 1800 x 1000).   It is still working through the 12th pass of the progressive render when I captured this image.

Now, there are no textures loaded but as you have 16 Gb of memory (vs. my 8 Gb), then maybe it is worth a try without displacement.  Or you can drop over 500 euros on more memory...which is not a bad  idea as you will always benefit given the machine you have. 

Dave

Make sure the memory you buy matches that which you have, unless you want to dump the old

3 hours ago, paulselhi said:

Make sure the memory you buy matches that which you have, unless you want to dump the old

I know it can be, I'm not sure that's the case here. There are 2 memory channels as I recall, and the Ryzen only wants / uses the one of them, so I think they can be different speeds, though agree it would be ideal if they were all the same. But I reckon matched in pairs might be good enough here, even if the pairs aren't matched between them. Would also recommend OP checking with supplier / doing further research on that.

CBR

• Topic Author
    11 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Just for kicks and giggles, I downloaded the file and tried to render it on my wimpy and very cheap every day computer (not the machine I use for serious work in C4D).  That every day PC only has 8 Gb of memory.

As expected...it ran out of memory.

I then made one change:  I turned off displacement on the 3 textures that use it.

image.thumb.png.cf42b6a93a35a1fae7a0b95ccc952999.png

I just rendered it to the viewport and then took a snip (around 1800 x 1000).   It is still working through the 12th pass of the progressive render when I captured this image.

Now, there are no textures loaded but as you have 16 Gb of memory (vs. my 8 Gb), then maybe it is worth a try without displacement.  Or you can drop over 500 euros on more memory...which is not a bad  idea as you will always benefit given the machine you have. 

Dave

Oh wow... interesting, that might just work, though without the displacment some details would be missing, im gonna give it a try!

• Topic Author
    14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Make sure it's fast memory as well - the performance of your Ryzen (you have same processor as me) is very much linked to how fast that is. Id say you wanted PC3200 minimum.

CBR

Yup, i bought a pair of Gskill F4-3200C, the same as the pair i have in my system to avoid bottlenecking and conflicts, hopefully this will solve the issue, thanks again!

Try using a normal map instead of displacement. You can convert the DM to a NM  I think