Sign in to follow this  
nihonjin

Reattaching hair to new object

Hi, another question about hair sims in C4D. My basic question is that I have done grooming on a particular model and I want to basically copy that hair and have it attached to the same object but with different animation (and so simulation will be different). I have a .fbx of the second model where I need to add the hair. The polygons/mesh are identical only the animation is different. When I make the exact same selection on my new .fbx model  and copy-paste my old hair object and put the new selection tag in the link under guides, it doesn't wanna seem to move with the mesh but stays in one place while the walk/animation goes on beside the hair and the hair being attached to a "ghost scalp" that isn't in that position anymore. Adding a new hair object to that same selection does work and moves with the head but defeats the purpose of copying the groom. Is there anyway I can get it to stick to the head? I'm linking to a video showing the same (apologist for the frantic mouse movements 😛)

https://we.tl/t-KY4u9Knckj

Thanks in advance

nihonjin

Hi

Why dont you just apply a different animation to the model if its already got hair attached and working fine?  Bake the current animation to a motion clip, merge the second model into scene with different animation on and also make a motion clip.  Delete that model and apply the motion clip to the model with the hair.  I assume you have tried storing the hair position, using the root tool before you found it didnt work, generally it dont transfer too well.

Assuming you have the hair on a hair cap you can stick the cap to the other model of you wana go that route by using the Surface deformer.  Best workflow iv found is to make the hair on a hair cap, apply the hair cap to what model you want.  You can constrain it, surface deformer or using weighting to the head bone.

If you can upload the file I can have a go for you.

Dan

Hi, I apologize for the extremely late reply. I tried reading up about hair caps and didn't find much talking about how to implement them. From what I understood, I directly took all the polygons from the one model that I already have with its hair groomed, and constrain/parent it to the head bone and turn off the polygons in the renderer and just render the hairs. I faced some problem doing this because the moment I delete the polys from the head, that I don't need, and the hair guides change, as shown in the image attached. I didn't really get the surface deformer thing  and why I'd need to use that.

As for the motion clip, I really don't know how to go about doing that. If you could send me a reference or maybe explain the process a little more elaborately, that'd be great.  I also have fur that I need to create and use on multiple different fbx files how do i go about doing the same there? because the hair cap thing won't work as, in that case, the base mesh/ scalp, if you will, doesn't really change.

If you need any more information or what files exactly then I'd be happy to send them

I apologize again for the late reply, I'll try reply promptly from here on out.

Thank you

nihonjin

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.44.51 PM.png