Sign in to follow this  
krivi

Redshift not rendering displacement deformer

I have a scene in which I am faking dripping liquid simulation via a displacer deformer linked to the luminance of an animated texture. I initially worked with the standard renderer and ran some tests and the dripping liquid animation was working.

Then I switched to Redshift. Initially, everything seemed to be working fine, until I did a test render to the Picture Viewer and I realised that it looked fine only in the IPR preview, but the truth is that Redshift does not read the displacer deformer for some reason. I tried switching the luminance material to an RS material, but that didn't solve the issue.
I am attaching screenshots of how the scene looks in the IPR and in bucket renders so that you see what I mean. I am also attaching a simplified version of the scene in case you wish to explore it.

Anyone got an idea of how to fix this? I really hope I don't have to switch back to standart renderer...

Attachments:

How it is supposed to look and how it looks in IPR:

how it looks in IPR

How it really looks when I render it out:
how it looks in bucket render/picture viewer

Scene: https://mab.to/TZqoFcEVQ

Il have a look tomorrow.  If for some reason your trying to get a C4D material to work with the redshift renderer for displacement then it wont work, it has to be done with a RS material.  I I cant have access to RS at the moment "this crazy stupid licence method" Il have to do it tomorrow from the pc its locked to. 

DAN

Thanks a lot, Dan!
I tried it with a RS material too and it still didn't work. Maybe I haven't set up the RS material right.
Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Just apply material is not enough. You must add redshift tag on that object (object tag or similar, I´m not at my pc now) and there enable displacement. You´ll find it.

41 minutes ago, bezo said:

Just apply material is not enough. You must add redshift tag on that object (object tag or similar, I´m not at my pc now) and there enable displacement. You´ll find it.

I just had a quick look at the scene (not on RS PC) and he does have a tag with displacement enabled but dont have Tessellation on so no smoothing via RS, but in either case he is using a standard C4D material so id not expect anything anyway.  What I need to investigate is the OP says its working in the IPR but not in bucket rendering?

Whats odd is that he is using a displacement deformer, this is not a shader based displacement so it should show in any render engine other than the shading aspect.   It dont look like the OP set this demo scene up with any keys on it so can only assume it works via the Displacer strength for the drop mesh, if thats the case its not looking right as its not spilling over the edge but appears equally over the base mesh?

PS: I think  see the problem although still not on RS PC at the moment.  The luminance is essencialy the alpha for where the displacment shows but its driven by a C4D material.  Im thinking now its a material issue and this must be set up in RS material.  I will have to look at this with RS on my other pc as iv not needed to set up such a thing before.  

At the moment from what I see is just need to apply a RS material to the drop mesh while leaving the C4D material to the left of it so the C4D deals with the displacemrnt but the RS one deals with the rendering part.

Dan

I am not animating the displacer deformer's strenght. The animation comes from a png sequence in the texture. I just haven't uploaded the full sequence to the scene, but just a frame from it, as otherwise the file would become too large. And yes, Dan, if I understood you correctly, you've got the problem. The displacement, which is not a shader based dispacement as it comes from the displacer deformer, is visible in the IPR, but in the bucket renderer it appears as a flat surface over the base mesh rather than drips.
I tried activating the tesselation and displacement of the RS object tag with no result. I also tried substituting the c4d texture with a RS texture, but this also didn't work. Moreover, when I convert my texture to an RS material it maps weirdly over my object and just generally looks completely wrong.  I also tried your method of placing the RS material while leaving the C4D material to the left but nothing happened.
It seems like Redshift is not converting my material right. I am attaching screenshots below.

The first image is how the C4D texture maps over the sphere. The second image is how this texture looks when converted to a RS material.

1470085151_normaltex.thumb.PNG.6949142bdcac9ecb8aacd34ba2a26302.PNG685842749_RStex.PNG.6c0b2a8e1181d345dba7b08324994cc7.PNG

And here's RS shader graph vs C4D material editor

991527849_shadergraphs.thumb.PNG.17b4810c122e9c1e7660fc4e506fb15a.PNG

My electric just gone.   While I had it in screen I noted that ipr uses viewport settings as the sds tag was showing lower smooth level.  So bucket is not rendering what the viewport is necessarily showing.  At this time it seems the displaced only works with c4d native materials and RS is ignoring anything driven by a c4d material.

Dan

So from what I understand my only possible way is to use C4D renderers for the displacement to show?

Right Im back.

So in the Displacer deformer we can see that the channels it deals with are directly related to C4D default materials.  Before doing any further tests my initial thought is that the displacer is not compatible with a RS material, however the displacement in this case maybe material driven but its not render dependant as it shows in the viewport.  I need to find out a few things.  1: Does RS at render time disable any C4D material in the scene?  2: does the displacer defromer operate seperatly between the viewport display and at render time?

We know tha RS does render defromers.  So lets see if we can get another defromer to be driven in some way by a material?  I can get a twist defromers Angle be driven by the brightness of a C4D material, so on that level we know that C4D materials dont get canceled when render with RS.

Test on basic sphere:

A Displacer can be driven by a noise and render with RS but this is a custom shader.

RS will render a displacer driven by luminance chan of c4d material using a procedural surface.

RS will render a displacer driven by luminance chan of c4d material using a texture map.

Select tag in displacer has no influence over where displacment shows, only the shader info.

Going by these tests there is no reason to conclude that RS cant render what your wanting so its something else.

Dan

Right, it looks like its something in your render settings   I copied the scene and pasted it into a new scene, and it renders fine.  I saved the default RS render settings, and loaded them up in your scene, it rendered fine.

The fix here is right click in the render settings and select new.  The new RS material will work.  I did look through every setting between new and old and found nothing but the fact that the new settings fitted the objects into the render view, while your settings the object where way bigger in the render.

Dan