Sign in to follow this  
Pierre Tessier

Cut down render time while keeping decent quality

Posted (edited)

I am working on a 10 second animation and I need to find a way to cut down render time while keeping a descent quality. Setup for Physical renderer is pretty normal with some QI & AO. I'm also adding some depth of field. The difference in render time between a Medium and High sampling quality is enormous, as you can see here. 20 min vs 80 min for a single frame! The biggest difference is really the blur on the right of the image. Is there a way to improve that blur without adding a full hour to render one frame? It will take weeks to render the 300 frames. Thanks.

Test_1 copy.jpg

Test_2 copy.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Fixed spelling in keywords

Don't use Medium or High !! Always use adaptive / automatic, which puts the detail just where it is needed ! 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

If you select the Adaptive sampler, you still have to select a Sampling Quality. Do you set it to Automatic?

Yeah, sorry, adaptive / automatic, and you control quality entirely with the error threshold, which for a final render should be between 5 and 8%. But for animation maybe you can get away with a bit higher like say - 10%.

CBR

Also, I fix my lower values to something like this...

image.png.f13e21ea38adc45fcfb1210bb3dc1f5c.png

(for a scene with no Sub-Surface Scattering in)

You can also speed up render by collapsing cloners down to poly objects, if your animations allow that...

CBR

• Topic Author

Got a very good result from your settings but render time is way up, 49 min/frame. Will try to play around with the settings and try to bring the rende time down as much as I can. 

Test_3 copy.jpg

• Topic Author

The 5 black fans that you see is a cloner. I always thought cloners would speed up render time. 

No, they slow it down. In truly huge scenes with hundreds of cloned elements it can save up to 40% of render time to convert to polys.

CBR

Also you can save further render time by removing any specular from materials. You don't need any of that in a scene like this - reflection alone should do it.

CBR