Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

I have modeled a model in Cinema 4D and now want to make a bullet hole in this model (is a sign) How does it work? ( does not have to be an animation)   

Thank you in advance!!

I use Cinema4D R21

Edited by Cerbera
removed formatting / amended title

Depends on what it is as its can be displacments, normal maps with the right texture map.  You could also make actual holes in the geometry  and place displacments around that.  Look for bullet hole displacement or alpha maps online.

Dan

Well - you just model a hole into your geometry, which is a very basic thing to do. Unfortunately you haven't provided the file or any screenshots, so we can't see your topology and therefore can't advise more exactly... also a good idea to include photo reference in a post like this, so that we can see exactly what sort of bullet holes you mean - for example - should they be ultra clean and stylised or do you actually want to show torn metal like would happen in the real world ? Have the bullets caused any secondary deformation to the object they have passed through ? Were the bullets from a tiny little handgun, or a some sort of epic shotgun or automatic weapon ? That sort of thing. The more detail you give us the more we can help.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Ok no problem @Cerbera in the attachment is once a photo where the place is marked where the bullet hole should go and the Cinema 4D file.

Sign.PNG

Sign.zip

Excellent - thank you. Good news - this is a surprisingly well constructed mesh, so will be easy to put bullet holes in. However, as this bullet travels all the way through the sign and you don't want to have to model the same thing on each side independently, so first step is to lose the thickness on that object, which we can then add back later once the bullet hole is done... You didn't say you wanted metal tearing so I will assume you need a relatively clean hole...

So, use phong break selection or any other method to select just the flat front polys then do U,I to invert selection and press delete. Now you should have single flat plane to work with.

Next, find 4 polygons roughly in the position where you want your hole, select those and inner extrude them once (Extrude inner tool). Then use slide to move the points to circular. (I used points to circle script for this, which you can find online, but can easily done by manual sliding as well). That will give you something like below...

image.thumb.png.c85f026ca4cf178ae8a613f9ce51b665.png

Next inner extrude once more to get a nice edge flow around the hole, and then delete the polys at the centre to get your bullet hole, like so... I also tweaked the surrounding points to better meet the hole section (also slide tool).

image.thumb.png.a89811a54abe87affefaeb0ff26409e8.png

Now you can select all polys, and extrude them back (with caps) to restore your thickness, although you will have to do the edge bevels again, either via the bevel deformer or the command...

At distance this will look round, but obviously won't stand up to any close ups where we see the edges. But that is what subdivision surfaces are for, you you could fix that by dropping this mesh under L2 subdivision.

Hope that helps

CBR

You can then use a bump map or displacement to break the edges up.  I arranged both sides the same should you have thickness. then bridged between.

Edit:  Beat me to it Cerbera . 😀.  The extra loop you added enforces the edges that you added.  Leave this with you Jay

hole.jpg

Cheers Dan - yeah I think he's probably got enough to go on - we showed him both easiest ways between us 🙂

CBR

Whilst I'm here quickly the hat could do with some work too - at the moment it is very angular, even from a distance. If this was built nicely from quads you could just put it under an SDS object, and get lovely smooth curves that way, but your mesh is all horrible triangles, which you can't use with subdivision. However, it is possible to model that properly with all quads, which is what I'd do...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Ok I have now inserted a hole but how can I now the edges brittle and fray out the back as in the attached picture?And how do I make these paint chips

from behind.jpg

From the Front.jpg

22 minutes ago, Gonkimulle said:

Ok I have now inserted a hole but how can I now the edges brittle and fray out the back as in the attached picture?And how do I make these paint chips

from behind.jpg

From the Front.jpg

Now your going into the realms of Vector Displacement if you want over turning frays.  When it comes to paint chips, do you mean particals, or just missing pain with no bump?  For things like that Substance painter does a better job as you can use cavity as masks.

Dan