Sign in to follow this  
Metier

Lighting a large interior scene - advice needed ...

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about lighting a large interior scene using Redshift.

I have an architectural model of a room which is lit entirely by artificial light (no natural light) - think a large sports hall with a large number of small overhead lights.

I have set this up some lighting using a cloner and a grid of small area lights - however this seems to take a long time to render / preview in the IPR & I am not sure this is the most efficient method.

I ultimately have to render animated sequences of this scene so am looking to light this in the most efficient way in terms of render time.

Can anyone recommend anything I can do to make this scene more efficient in this regard?

(Or even recommend more active forums for discussing C4D & Redshift - as much as I love C4D Cafe!).

Thanks for your time 🙂

That is strange, as far as I know only mesh lights should have a noticable impact on the render - are you sure it is the lights that are causing the slow render times? How many lights do you have exactly? Maybe reduce the max bounces on the lights?

If it really is the lights, you could try to use a procedural as the light and clone it, with meshes this gives a great improvement, with lights I'm not so sure though.

Another idea would maybe be to have a big quad light at the ceiling and place a grid under it, so it looks like it were many small lights.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

I have tried cloning area lights onto the geometry - resulting in about 80 lights - which does indeed appear to slow the render up massively.

I'm now trying adding an incandescent material to this geometry (giving the appearance of there being lights), while lighting the room with a huge area light in the ceiling. This seems to be much faster to render ...

My next challenge is how to create a series of 'chandeliers' (not my idea - this is some architectural visualisation that needs to be accurate!) - essentially thousands of glass spheres suspended from the ceiling, each with a light inside (which can be randomly switched on or off) - ideas on that welcome too! 😬

I don't know if this would be any better, but you might want to try cloning IES lights. Maybe do some experiments using them in an empty room and see if performance and control is any better. Just a thought.

Thanks - have been trying a little of that as I go a long to try to troubleshoot things.
Have a feeling its the glass material on the chandeliers that is causing the issues!

How are the rendertimes if you completely hide the glass spheres?