Sign in to follow this  
AbuBakar

Change side from hard to rounded

I am beginner to c4d and started simple modeling, i am modeling a motorcycle (ACK ATTACk) and now i am a little stuck at the end. I can't figure out how to round the bottom end (in red color) of motorcycle to the rounded shape like the top end (in yellow color).

Annotation 2020-06-06 234221.png

Neither of those ends are ideal edge flow for nicely rounded topology, and you are working with ngons (bad modelling technique), and rather a lot of points and polys that make modelling work on this mesh awkward and inefficient. Much better to work with a) Subdivision surfaces, which would allow you to use about a 10th of those points, and b) symmetry, so you only had to adjust one side, halving your work again. There are lots of tutorials about SDS poly modelling on Youtube, so those are probably the place to start if you are totally unfamiliar with the rules and techniques required for that workflow.

Here is an example of just how few points are actually required to give a curve like that under subdivision. With symmetry there are just 16 points in this (base mesh, left), yet the subdivided result (right) is smoother than your version with many many more points, and is topologically sound, and made of only quad polygons (4-sided), which is what good modelling aims to work with.

image.thumb.png.248ffedf603881e65206fa5a2d0c621b.png

Or it might be that several splines in a Loft are the better way to go with this shape...

But if you just want to 'fix' what you have now, then you can just manually select pairs of the lower points and scale them in so that they match the other end. I don't think there is any automatic way to do this however.

CBR

On 6/7/2020 at 1:49 AM, Cerbera said:

Neither of those ends are ideal edge flow for nicely rounded topology, and you are working with ngons (bad modelling technique), and rather a lot of points and polys that make modelling work on this mesh awkward and inefficient. Much better to work with a) Subdivision surfaces, which would allow you to use about a 10th of those points, and b) symmetry, so you only had to adjust one side, halving your work again. There are lots of tutorials about SDS poly modelling on Youtube, so those are probably the place to start if you are totally unfamiliar with the rules and techniques required for that workflow.

Here is an example of just how few points are actually required to give a curve like that under subdivision. With symmetry there are just 16 points in this (base mesh, left), yet the subdivided result (right) is smoother than your version with many many more points, and is topologically sound, and made of only quad polygons (4-sided), which is what good modelling aims to work with.

image.thumb.png.248ffedf603881e65206fa5a2d0c621b.png

Or it might be that several splines in a Loft are the better way to go with this shape...

But if you just want to 'fix' what you have now, then you can just manually select pairs of the lower points and scale them in so that they match the other end. I don't think there is any automatic way to do this however.

CBR

I followed your tip, thank you for helping out.