Sign in to follow this  
Ditmar

My boat won't animate in render

My live viewport shows it all like I want it to be, then I hit render and the boat stays in the same spot. I have the feeling it has to do with the displacer material that doesn't affect the constraints, but if so - I would like to understand why that is. Is there a way to have it working besides baking everything? I would like to continue editing the result. Or is it something else entirely?

I've already read quite a few topics about what could cause the renderer to behave like that. I tried switching to the psr contstraint, changed every order of priority in the constraint tag, turn on sub polygon displacement, tweaked around in the expert dynamics settings.. and all the tutorials about this particular setup never show what happens in render view 🙂 Maybe you can help me out?

I've attached the file. (By the way, if you have any other tips about the things that seem wrong feel free to mention them :-D, i'm learning)

Boatyfloaty.c4d

51 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh you're using Octane, which I don't have so can't test. Will move to Octane Category, as only people that have that can really test this.

CBR

Uhm sorry, no 🙂 that octane plugin is a demo that is just for trying out. I should have removed it since it gives an error probably? I'm not using it in the file. I've updated it. 

Aha ! As you were then - will move it back ! 🙂

I'm not an expert in constraints and rendering, but of all the things I have read over the years I will venture to guess that you probably do indeed need to bake it all before it renders, though will happily defer to anyone that knows differently...

But while I'm here I will say what a great scene this is, and how nicely modelled your whale tail is !

CBR

Thank you for your kind words 🙂 Too bad I probably have to bake it to see how it renders. But then again it's not that much work.

https://dmvd.stackstorage.com/s/mPqnTuuSUx1ZEBl Right now I testrendered a draft but the water looks really very rubbery. I've tried my best to tweak the settings in the collider and the jiggle. A falloff makes sure the water doesnt get stuck to the tail much (while glitching a lot) but surely this is probably not the best way to go about this.

Am I forced to have a look at realflow or smth, or can the water look more realistic in c4d? (I'm not aiming for realism, just no rubber)