perforated modelling

• Silver Contributor

I think the critical questions you have to ask on a job like this: How close are you going to get? What will you be able to see in the shot?  Then you can model to the appropriate level of detail.

actually, These are fibers and I will animate to upward and downward it so I need to be close a quite. Normally, I can make it by using alpha but it doesn't meet my demand. I tried a lot of way especially using TP and tracer. But I couldn't form an object like this

Okay, total newb here. I had an idea that might help idk! I also used xparticles here not TP, maybe a TP guru can shed some light 🙂

So, the structure was a particle volume. a collider mesh as well. some curl noise, turbulent noise.

an emitter with long life to build the walls, then another with a short trail to create the moving ones on the outside. unfortunately my machine isn't made for such massive structures 😄 .. I also tried the round corners in the rs material to create the slimy/thick intersections, but apparently it doesn't work on RS curve objects, or I don't know how to configure it. here how it looks.

Screen.thumb.jpg.786496100f3e5f362485d1a69284cffb.jpg

I'm thinking this could be done and look 99% good with some flat planes and the right maps made.  After it looks good with a displacement, or normal, plus alpha, and diffuse copy paste the later to be under the first then change the UV mapping so the fibers are not in the exact same place.  If you want big holes make a geometry with the holes that looks roughly right then give it a thickness.  Unattach the new inner part made from thickness and invert the normals.  Not change the UV map on the inner part so it's not exactly the same as the outer part.

The hardest part should be making some good looking maps.

10 hours ago, foxtuon said:

Okay, total newb here. I had an idea that might help idk! I also used xparticles here not TP, maybe a TP guru can shed some light 🙂

So, the structure was a particle volume. a collider mesh as well. some curl noise, turbulent noise.

an emitter with long life to build the walls, then another with a short trail to create the moving ones on the outside. unfortunately my machine isn't made for such massive structures 😄 .. I also tried the round corners in the rs material to create the slimy/thick intersections, but apparently it doesn't work on RS curve objects, or I don't know how to configure it. here how it looks.

Screen.thumb.jpg.786496100f3e5f362485d1a69284cffb.jpg

I think it is enough, I have ever used the XP, but I think I need to purchase it. 🙂 Do you have a .c4d file for examine how did you do it?

Okay here is what I made:

*Maybe add a limit to particle travel, which will limit the length of the trails, either by keyframing the curl noise or add a speed control as in the scene attached.

*A follow surface modifier can add some variety, as well as constraints and particle connections.

Again I'm totally new to all this so maybe there is a faster way to do this, as this sim takes quite sometime to run.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/rm3uypqMiYiZ9uZk

good luck.

-Heads up, Redshift renderer, C4D 21, and Xparticles.