Sign in to follow this  
Bells

Can you type in exact angles to measure and construction tool?

Can you type in an exact angle in to the measure and construction tool as in to use it as a protractor to make your model precise and more mathematically correct if that makes sense?

Thanks

Yes you can. Here's an example where I measured the angle on a cube. I then typed in 105° to change the angle. I could also have changed the length of the edge by entering a new amount.

Hope this helps.

Measure1.jpg

measure2.jpg

Here's a tutorial that some joker made a few years ago. This may help.

Nige's tutorial there remains perhaps the best there has ever been about that tool...

CBR

Thanks so much for the help guys! I'm having trouble typing anything in as those boxes are greyed out, but I'll have a play and check out the tutorial and hopefully that will solve it.

Thanks!

scrreenshot.JPG

Having an absolute nightmare with this. It's something so simple that is proving to be so difficult and annoying. I thought maybe it wasn't working because the tool had to be snapped to some actual geometry to move it, or maybe I was in the wrong mode but that didn't solve it either. If I manage to get it so I can type a measurement into the box it immediately changes back to what it was before. I'm surprised that for all it's great UI experience and intuitive tool sets that it fails to provide a simple basic protractor.

Anyway I'm gonna go eat some food and come back to it, urgh.

Capture.JPG

Okay somehow I've made it work... lunch was obviously what was needed. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing that has made it work but I will report back...

I always found measure and construction tool rather clunky to use and didn't bother using it. As far as I know it never received any further development.

Is there a good plug in or alternative you know of at all?

Many thanks

7 hours ago, Bells said:

Is there a good plug in or alternative you know of at all?

Not that I'm aware of. To be honest if you're wanting your models to be accurate just getting the lengths of elements correct is pretty much all you need to do. If you want to change the length of an edge say, that isn't aligned to the 3 world axes then you can temporarily align the workplane to the edge. You can then type in the correct length in the Attributes Manager to correct it.