Sign in to follow this  
thjprodu

Rendering my scene looks completely different from viewport

Posted (edited)

Please forgive me, I am VERY new to Cinema 4D. I have the light version with AE, and I created a plane with a brick texture i bought that had a normal map, height map, etc. When I go to render it or view it in After Effects, the texture does not show, it looks more like just the height map maybe. Just a black and white blurry image in the shape of bricks. I must be dong something very wrong. I played around with render settings for a while but could not figure anything out.

Screen_Shot_2020-06-20_at_7_23.01_AM.png

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section

It's a bit difficult to know where to start with this, other than telling you it isn't a bug, so I have moved it to a better category.

Generally speaking people new to the software and 3D shouldn't post anything in the bugs section, because they are invariably wrong, and in 99% of cases it is user-error.

In 3D we do not expect the viewport to be the same as the render, and generally speaking no DCC software does, although differences between the 2 get more minimal as time goes on... the viewport is there to show you the positioning and framing of your shot, and to provide wireframe overlays and other gizmos that assist in creating 3D content. Preview renders are there to show you what it will look like.

Rendering is what happens when the machine calculates the cumulative effect of all the elements you have placed in the scene, which will normally be models, materials, lights, and animation, and getting the result of all this on screen requires enormous calculations to take place, that would ordinarily make the viewport unusable if it was happening in real-time. To complicate matters at this point, one of the biggest advantages of 3rd party renderers is that they often provide near real-time render previews using powerful GPUs, which are much better and faster at this than regular CPUs. 

So, unlike AFX, where all your content is there from the start, that is not the case with 3D, and only the things you put in the scene will turn up in render. Therefore to make your scene look 'right' you also need to setup things like lights, reflection environments and cameras before you can render anything useful.

Slapping a pre-made material on an object and calling it done is not enough.

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

It's a bit difficult to know where to start with this, other than telling you it isn't a bug, so I have moved it to a better category.

Generally speaking people new to the software and 3D shouldn't post anything in the bugs section, because they are invariably wrong, and in 99% of cases it is user-error.

In 3D we do not expect the viewport to be the same as the render, and generally speaking no DCC software does, although differences between the 2 get more minimal as time goes on... the viewport is there to show you the positioning and framing of your shot, and to provide wireframe overlays and other gizmos that assist in creating 3D content. Preview renders are there to show you what it will look like.

Rendering is what happens when the machine calculates the cumulative effect of all the elements you have placed in the scene, which will normally be models, materials, lights, and animation, and getting the result of all this on screen requires enormous calculations to take place, that would ordinarily make the viewport unusable if it was happening in real-time. To complicate matters at this point, one of the biggest advantages of 3rd party renderers is that they often provide near real-time render previews using powerful GPUs, which are much better and faster at this than regular CPUs. 

So, unlike AFX, where all your content is there from the start, that is not the case with 3D, and only the things you put in the scene will turn up in render. Therefore to make your scene look 'right' you also need to setup things like lights, reflection environments and cameras before you can render anything useful.

Slapping a pre-made material on an object and calling it done is not enough.

CBR

I have lights and a camera in place. What should I do to try to get it to look how I want in After Effects?

You will need to look at Tutorials on Cineware for After Effects. There is tons of documentation coming with Cinema and tons of tutorials on YouTube. There is no way these concept can be adequately described in a forum post. Before you do anything else you will need to understand how the bridge between C4D and AE works and what C4D actually does.

3 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

You will need to look at Tutorials on Cineware for After Effects. There is tons of documentation coming with Cinema and tons of tutorials on YouTube. There is no way these concept can be adequately described in a forum post. Before you do anything else you will need to understand how the bridge between C4D and AE works and what C4D actually does.

I mean, I think I generally understand how the bridge between AE and C4D works

Which is why I'm saying you need to understand how C4D works. If that material doesn't look correct in C4D then obviously something with your material is wrong. As you are a total beginner I am 99% sure that you did not set up your material correctly. That is very, very basic especially with a simple texture with a normalmap.