Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Didar

Zoom in a city from far away

Recommended Posts

Hello guys. so I want something similar to this

https://youtu.be/IRHczrjzAWo

, but not realistic and somehow cartoony. So don't need to have much details like that. but there is still many details, buildings, roads, trees and ...

so how do you think I can implement these and reveal them when we get closer to the city? for a long shot we don't need to see all those details and when we get closer we can see them. so I guess we can have main landmarks when we are far away and as we get closer we can bring more details. can I use camera distance to unhide things? also I should think about something very optimized. there might be thousands of objects in my scene. please share your ideas and opinions. thanks  

Share this post


Link to post

You'd probably want a few different renders for each level of detail e.g. satellite view > cloud level > cityscape > buildings/ street level

Comp in some transitions like satellites/clouds/birds/planes as you zoom into the city to give the illusion it's all one continuous render. 

Share this post


Link to post

There shouldn't be thousands of objects in your scene because you'd be mad to do this with objects - I'd say most sensible solutions here would be almost entirely image-based, expect maybe the final resolution / area you end up zooming into.

 

CBR

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

You'd probably want a few different renders for each level of detail e.g. satellite view > cloud level > cityscape > buildings/ street level

Comp in some transitions like satellites/clouds/birds/planes as you zoom into the city to give the illusion it's all one continuous render. 

Thanks. yes those transitions seems a good way. so as Cerbera says, maybe we should put images for far distances and only 3D objects for the close view? 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

There shouldn't be thousands of objects in your scene because you'd be mad to do this with objects - I'd say most sensible solutions here would be almost entirely image-based, expect maybe the final resolution / area you end up zooming into.

 

CBR

yes, using images can be a good way. so, now I should ask my illustrator to draw different images of a cartoon continent from top view, right? and at the closer view we can create 3D objects. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Didar said:

yes, using images can be a good way. so, now I should ask my illustrator to draw different images of a cartoon continent from top view, right? and at the closer view we can create 3D objects. 

 

I think so. This clip from the Simpsons might give you some ideas. As has been suggested already, it's a mix of dissolves / fades and tactically placed obfuscation layers. Whereas this, photo-grade sort of clip uses just very long slow dissolves to give the illusion of continuity...

 

The last transition from pure 2D to true 3D will be the hardest, so that is best handled not with fading but with a direct swap as the camera passes a cloud or plane or something.

 

CBR

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...