Sub Poly Displacement??

Hi, I have a very low poly object that I want to apply sub poly displacement to but I am struggling to get it to work due to it being low poly. Is there a certain way to apply SPD to low poly objects? I hope someone can help. Many Thanks, Ben

Hi.

When you say low, just how low are you talking about?  It good for the object to hold its own volume.  Assuming your using C4D own native render engine you need to enable the following options.  You may find you need more (Subdivision Levels) to get it smooth and detailed.  The Height and Strength speak for themselves.  Generally you keep it 100% strength and alter the Height.

If your sculpting within C4D all this is set up or you when you bake it.

1657936007_dispalcementc4d.thumb.jpg.7e3ef691640df0e4e6fdf4fccd780185.jpg

Dan

Show the wires of the object please, looks like you got some bad topology there?  If this is the render result then upp the sub d level for displacement.  Also add a SDS tag, your get a idea just how much you need to divide it from this and the expected smoothing results.

Dan

I have added the scene file here, no lights have been added but hopefully this helps. What I want is an even distribution of the grid of dots sunken into the skull. I hope you can help. thanks again 

SDS test.zip

8 minutes ago, gboutique said:

I have added the scene file here, no lights have been added but hopefully this helps. What I want is an even distribution of the grid of dots sunken into the skull. I hope you can help. thanks again 

SDS test.zip 811.8 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you. that helps a great deal.

So depending on what results your expecting would be as to what I would advice.  In general you have a number of issues that may cause you problems depending on what you after.

1: The mesh is made of all Triangles,  this is not ideal for SDS but in this case you may get away with it to some degree

2: Poles. these are 5 or more polygons that share the same vert, this offers bad deformation and smoothing during render time, more so on curved surfaces.

3: Your Uvs are overlapping so you cant apply any maps that use Uvs.  As your texture does require UVs to the way in which its set up this wont work for you.  

I will make a short video showing this and more to get you moving forward. 

Dan

that would be much appreciated if you can supply a short video showing the easiest way to keep the same look of the skull but adding the dot indents. thanks again for your help its hugely appreciated. 

SPD is designed to work best with quads and evenly spaced, non-chaotic topology. SPD'ing this is not likely to lead to nice displacement because we're not really giving it anything it wants...

I would be tempted to throw this under a Volume Builder / Mesher setup first (or even a 3rd party remesher like Instant Meshes) so you end up with a much more suitable mesh for displacement - ie a lot higher res, and all the quads.

CBR

wow thanks so much, your a star. Do you have a link for this video please so I can download it rather than watch in the browser. Really appreciate your time, it really helps having people like you in this world. 

33 minutes ago, gboutique said:

wow thanks so much, your a star. Do you have a link for this video please so I can download it rather than watch in the browser. Really appreciate your time, it really helps having people like you in this world. 

Your welcome.

Download it here.