Help with points: alignment and snapping

Hi there

I have two questions regarding moving points and snapping....

1. In the image shown I want to move the point selected down so it is at the red cross... in line with the blue curve but I DONT want to change the angle. So I can't lock to the red/blue axis and move it straight down that way as it will not follow the correct path/angle. I want to move it down along that path but I can't find snap settings to enable this, I tried adding in a new point and deleting the old one but that affected the rest of the geometry. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. The curve is below the green point so I can't seem to snap to it. This is a problem I keep running in to... is there no way to snap to/ align with geometry on a different plane. For example if you want thing to line up but not join up/ be at different heights/levels. I'm sure there must be a way to do this as eyeballing it doesn't seem the most reliable and will surely lead to inaccuracy's.

Many thanks

3.JPG

Unfortunately not but thanks anyway.

That only snaps to objects on the same plane and also on my model when I move the point using the guide snap it will only snap to straight up/down, left and right. It won't extend along that line. In the video you linked it seems to work better but my angle is so similar to going straight up it seems to be snapping to that?

Can you post scene file only with this parts of objects?

Can be used 2D snapping, not need to be spline/mesh on the same space...

How do I do that sorry? I can't see 'scene' file in the export or save as options... Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here.

I'll try and make my problem clearer. The view you are seeing is from above. I'm trying to move the point as shown in the first image I posted, to line up with the arc which is on a different plane (below) it. I don't want the point to be on the same plane as the arc I want it to remain directly above it but in line.

I want to move the point along and extend it along the path it is already on, see image 2. However it will not (no matter how many times I move it and what options I have selected) snap to that line. (image 3)

Excuse my handwriting haha

image 3.JPG

image 2.JPG

2 minutes ago, Bells said:

I can't see 'scene' file in the export or save as options...

Perhaps have a read of our guide to how to post in the forum ? Scene file is just the .c4d file it saves by default.

CBR

4 hours ago, Bells said:

I want to move it down along that path but I can't find snap settings to enable this, I tried adding in a new point and deleting the old one but that affected the rest of the geometry. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

There are not snapping options that would facilitate this. Unfortunately Cinema still lacks a proper edge / surface constraint system that would allow it. The slide tool sometimes will do as a substitute but that can only move points or edge selections along existing edges, but NOT to beyond the existing edges limit.

However those selected points in the first pic in the post 2 above this one can be snapped to that spline if you a) grab the right control, which is (probably, but can't tell for sure without file) the green xz axis band, and b) have set the modelling axis snapped to the point you want vertically aligned with the spline.

CBR

Thanks. I have managed to snap to the arc (spline) now but I do need it to follow that path.  It is frustrating that you cannot extend a line through snapping, seems completely absurd if there is no way to do it at all.... Is there no extend tool either to draw the line out longer? It seems like such a basic control that many other programs are able to do?

If that is the case then perhaps C4D is not the best program for more architectural design work/models that need to be mathematically correct....

54 minutes ago, Bells said:

If that is the case then perhaps C4D is not the best program for more architectural design work/models that need to be mathematically correct....

I would agree. Mathematically exact models are considerably harder to do in Cinema than other software. Personally i have always found the constraints and snaps in Max to be the best there are...

CBR

57 minutes ago, Bells said:

Is there no extend tool either to draw the line out longer? It seems like such a basic control that many other programs are able to do?

There is axis extension, or you could use a guide. Both are a little initially unintuitive to use, but they do work if you take the time to learn how to use them correctly... likewise Measure and Construction tool is worth investigation for numerical input, but can be confusing if you don't know it..

CBR

I've been getting round it by extending the measure and construction distances until they align with the curve, that's the closest I've managed but I will check out the other options you mention.

But perhaps it would be best to do this kind of model in another software such as 3ds max and then create the more organic shapes in C4D and then bring the two together.

Thanks very much for your help!

What you will find in Cinema is that if it can't do something a certain way, that does not mean it isn't possible using an entirely different approach.

For example what you are doing there could be done almost entirely parametrically with splines and rails like the sort of system in my GIFtip thread below....

(5th post, page 2)

CBR