Sign in to follow this  
rfanoni

What's the state of backward C4D compatibility these days

I work in a team of one. So it's been a long while since I workd with other peoples files. But the susbscription debacle has got me thinking - what is the the state of backward compatibility these days?

Specifically - if I started using a subscrition of s22/23/etc for a year or so but then cancelled my sub. Whould I then be able to open and edit the files that I'd made in s22/23 in R21 or R20?

Naturally newer fancy features wouldn't work properly. But a standard sort of file with just a polymodel/camera/lights/mograph cloner for example should work fine? Or  will it refuse to open?

S22 files do open in R21. Less sure about R20.

CBR

It is hard to say whether upcoming releases will be backwards compatible. So far, C4D file formats were fairly nice (except plugins that didn't obey the rules) and were compatible for many years. C4D just got rid of a lot old file format baggage, so we may be able to look forward to a long period of compatibility again. There's no guarantee that this will stay that way, though.

There is always the possibility that for technical reasons (new important fields or data formats) a newer file will not load in the old versions any more, or load but with a huge loss of information. There is also the possibility that the format will be changed intentionally to force people to upgrade to subscription, although this would generate so much negative backlash that I doubt it will be done.

Question is, if you can already tell that you may need to go back to an existing Perpetual, why would you subscribe at all? You could not (or only temporarily) use any of the fancy new things, as they will be lost when you go back. The only advantage would be speed optimizations and bugfixes.

7 hours ago, rfanoni said:

I work in a team of one. So it's been a long while since I workd with other peoples files. But the susbscription debacle has got me thinking - what is the the state of backward compatibility these days?

Specifically - if I started using a subscrition of s22/23/etc for a year or so but then cancelled my sub. Whould I then be able to open and edit the files that I'd made in s22/23 in R21 or R20?

Naturally newer fancy features wouldn't work properly. But a standard sort of file with just a polymodel/camera/lights/mograph cloner for example should work fine? Or  will it refuse to open?

Given my long term views on subscriptions, I already tested FBX export in R21.  It works quite well on re-import to R20 as well as to Blender.  Now I did this with standard traditional shaders and NOT the new nodal shader system.  

But, your best bet on moving files to other platforms and/or earlier releases is probably going to be FBX.  

Dave