Sign in to follow this  
gabrielaronson

Rollercoaster style physics along a spline.

Hi all, I'm curious about how folks might go about doing this:

I'm trying to animate an amusement park ride along a downhill track. I'm currently using the align to spline tool, but wonder if there is a way to introduce dynamics into the equation: Keeping the car locked to the spline, but reacting dynamically to gravity, as it goes up and down over hills, etc. Basically, how a roller coaster would move or perhaps a marble on a run, but without modeling out the wheels and tracks etc. just an object "falling" along a path. Thanks! 
image.thumb.png.f576407ae55105ce53682c6548ff48c4.png

Yes and no 🙂  there are 2 settings in the dynamics tag (forces tab I think) called follow position and follow rotation, which are used to balance between dynamics animation and other types of animation, so the answer may well be there.

However, if no balance is achievable in a way that works for this, then it is best to choose one way or the other, and then do whatever you have to do to fake the other aspect. For example you could make the cart totally dynamic, bu then create invisible collider geo to trammel it into the track, or you could use rail splines and whatnot and change your keyframe interpolation to make the cart bank and dynamically accelerate / decelerate as it went round corners etc if you went entirely the procedural way.

CBR

Cool! I played with these settings and it doesn't quite achieve what I'm looking for, but I see how these settings will be very useful for other stuff I'll be attempting with fairground rides 🙂 thanks so much for your response!

This might work - I have a dynamic sphere falling in a tube and use XPresso to get nearest point on a spline to the sphere. This drives the carriage that's on the spline. You could try cranking up g to make it go faster.

proxy coaster.c4d